We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

british airways upgrade

Portland, England...
reviews: 5
british airways upgrade

Due to take our very first transatlantic flight in a few days with BA. I have already chosen our World Traveller seats at the time of booking and paid the supplement for this and while not expecting an upgrade it would be nice if it happened so do we stand less of a chance because I paid to choose seats in advance of check in and also how and where do you get upgrades if you check in online rather than at a check in desk?

21 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 43
1. Re: british airways upgrade

We are flying YYC to LHR next week and are in premium economy. According to my DH (who researches these things obsessively) the flight we are on is chock-a-block.

Its a popular time of year to fly TA...early shoulder season, the weather is still OK, prices have come down a bit and schools are back.

So unscientifically I would say your chances of an upgrade are extremely slim to nothing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: british airways upgrade

Your having paid for seats should not matter at all with respect to upgrades to WT+. Depending on your destination, you may find a paid-for option to move to WT+ at MMB (Manage My Booking) at the BA website. That proactive upgrade will have a set price for the flight you've booked, and will almost certainly be cheaper than having booked WT+ at the start.

Again depending on your destination - you may check availability at www.flightstats.com - if the WT cabin is heavily sold but WT+ and Club World lightly sold that may increase your chances of being moved forward. If you have ordered special meals your chances of upgrade will go to zero, as that meal request makes a pax NSFU.

The WT+ cabin is smallish, so depending on when you plan to travel you may want to check MMB now. If you want the extra Avios and Tier Points then pay for the move and be happy to do so. You may (stress that word) be offered a paid-for upgrade at OLCI (on line check in) or at the airport when you drop your bags, but if others will have taken advantage of the offer before OLCI you could lose out.

To what city are you flying and when?

Portland, England...
3. Re: british airways upgrade

Thanks guys, we are travelling to LAX on 7th sept and back to Heathrow on 29th sept and there are 2 of us, I pre selected seats in the smaller upstairs rear cabin on a 787 both ways.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: british airways upgrade

Upstairs on a 787? You won't enjoy clinging to the tail fin!

BA283 and BA269 are both operated as Airbus A380s. Neither flight is oversold in WT, WT+ or J on 7 September. On 29 September BA282 and BA268 are not oversold in any cabin, although on all four flights F is nearly sold out (not unusual for that route).

Since WT+ has available seats there may be proactive upgrades offered at MMB. That would be the first place to look if you *truly* want to move forward a cabin, but asking at Heathrow on departure won't hurt either.

Portland, England...
5. Re: british airways upgrade

Haha, yep I got confused about which plane was the 'double decker' I agree it would be very fresh and invigorating upstairs on a 787! we fly out on the 09.20 flight and im a member of their executive club albeit on the bottom tier. Thanks for the info x

Edited: 1:23 am, September 03, 2014
UK
reviews: 87
6. Re: british airways upgrade

A heads up on an upgrade offered when you do OLCI. If you are offered one all evidence indicates its a one time offer right then. If you decline at that point you will not get the offer a second time even if you don't do OLCI. The same seems to apply to upgrades offered in manage my booking ahead of time.

So if you do get one you need to decide there and then.

uk
reviews: 20
7. Re: british airways upgrade

I read the question as the OP asking about FREE. Upgrades not paying for upgrade ?

Deb

Ely, UK
reviews: 12
8. Re: british airways upgrade

In May we went to the DR with BA, we selected and prepaid for seats, checked in on line, when we got to the boarding gate we were upgraded to WT+ (thank you BA) we are bottom rung Executive Club members, so it can happen

London, United...
reviews: 19
9. Re: british airways upgrade

I agree with jotuk,

You can get OP-UPs even as a blue ( had one myself last year WT to WT+ LHR-ORD with MrS).

In a way they are the devils work.....I now have two long haul flight coming up.....booked in WT+

uk
reviews: 20
10. Re: british airways upgrade

Oh Sazza now it will be fingers crossed for upgrade to Club which will be even worse for future bookings, start saving :)

Deb

Reply to: british airways upgrade
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted