We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

accra
reviews: 28
Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

Just want to share with TripAdvisor the good work KQ is doing

To: Customer Relations

Subject: special commendation for customer service at Nairobi Airport, re. Andrew Angalwa

Customer Relations CEO

Kenya Airways

This is to commend and compliment to you for the customer service provided at Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta International Airport at Gate 5, whilst waiting for the departure of flight KQ 510 to Accra, by Mr. Andrew Angalwa.

With another customer flying to Accra I reported a problem faced by two Ivorian passengers whose route took them on Tuesday August 26th from Abidjan to Nairobi in transit to Madagascar. But the flight was delayed (they occupied seats 14G and 14J). So they missed the flight to Madagascar, which had left at 8:30 am on Tuesday morning August 27th. They were told mid morning on Tuesday August 27th at the transit desk in Jomo Kenyatta International Airport departures that they would have to wait for the next flight by KQ to Madagascar, which would leave the following day, Wednesday August 27, at 22:00 pm.

Somehow the French speaking Ivorians were not told, or did not understand, the policy of KQ to provide customers subject to such layovers due to delays or technical problems with accommodation and transport to and from the airport as well as meals while waiting for departure. Note they were en route all the way with Kenya Airways. Definitely they were eligible for this service and they were stranded in the airport with no way to eat, since all they had were Central African CFAs and no CFAs, neither West African nor Central African, are negotiable in the foreign exchange beureaus at Nairobi -- I know as a passenger to Cameroun.

My friend and I were dismayed to learn of this. I have benefited from your excellent hotel accommodation policy by request for a long layover, and others I have encountered en route to Kartoum in the same period also received this courtesy impromptu without advanced request because of a fault with the aircraft which meant a delayed itinerary. The Ivorians--as it happens internationally renowned musicians--only spoke French and had no idea.

As God would have it, we approached the KQ customer service representative Mr. Andrew Angalwa who agreed that the passengers should be treated differently than be told to wait on the floor in the airport by the transit desk. But he was busy seeing to the passengers waiting to board KQ 510. My colleague (Ms. Nbobo, whom I am cc'ing here so you can confirm or get further details) pointed out her co-passengers from flight KQ521 which had been delayed, passengers who had then been overlooked in their long wait to go to Madagascar.

Mr. Anglawa quickly noted and identified the stranded KQ passengers, and assured us that once his duties as ground crew boarding KQ 510 were completed, as our flight was on schedule Tuesday late afternoon, he would see to the needs of the Ivorians who (to repeat so you can see the gross injustice he corrected) were otherwise going to wait until the following night, Wednesday 22:00 to get to Madagascar--again because because their flight KQ 521 from Abidjan had reached Nairobi too late to catch the booked KQ passage to Madagascar at 8:30 am on Tuesday.

Mr. Angalwa's attention and concern for customers of KQ went above and beyond the ordinary; individuals like this give your airline a great reputation despite the difficulties and challenges you are constantly facing while serving countries throughout Africa; still your customer service makes you competitive with the most affluent and privileged fleets in the skies over technically advanced and dominant economic regions of the world.

I have been a KQ passenger since August 13 travelling between different points--Accra, Nairobi, Jo'burg, Douala. I experienced excellent customer service at all times no matter how frenetic and overtaxed the individual working for KQ might be. And in one case really astonishing food, on the journey from Nairobi to Douala August 18.

On flight 510 to Accra, August 26th which departed Nairobi early evening, may I also please draw to your attention as well the excellent flight service of Stephen Oyier, Benedicta Minka and Magdalen Acquaye.

Thank you for truly fulfilling your promise of making Africa proud. Sometimes you outdo yourselves, thanks to individuals like Andrew Angalwa.

Sincerely,

Helen Lauer

Professor of Philosophy

University of Ghana, Legon

11 replies to this topic
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
1. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

Not a rant with "do not fly" or "worst airline ever"? Is that permitted? I'd write a succinct review (not a copy of your letter) and post it on airlinequality.com. Airlines do appreciate such letters. I write one to Avianca a few years ago regarding how well their reps at the Santiago, Chile airport handled things after our flight had to turn around due to mechanical problems. I did get a response.

San Francisco...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

Tripadvisor won't see your positive comments. As noted earlier you ought to write to the airline. I have also written to a different airline to commend them and received a personal response.

Also your full name is visible to all here.

accra
3. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

i wrote already to the airline, of course.

San Francisco...
4. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

Good to hear that.

But do you not mind your full name and place of employment as well as your job title showing in a public forum?

accra
5. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

i sent my letter initially to Kenya Airways and they replied. I wanted to share it with Trip Advisor bloggers too. It's rare to find any airline treating passengers (who are not business class) humanely these days.

By the way I had a GREAT TIME in Forteleza in May. Thank you for your wonderful playground for tourists!

London, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

Gosh, why do I remember you Helen, did you have a thread that turned contentious for some reason? There is something I can't quite recall.

accra
7. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

why should i mind?

accra
8. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

yeh, i made the great mistake of describing a bad time once getting roughed up in an Irish security queue, the wrong side of an official who I suppose could not bear my American accent -- who can blame her? But I was truly naive about packing liquids etc when they are medicinal, and she was sadistic about it. Worse was the reactions on Trip Advisor. What a scalding! I had no idea your bloggers detest academics so much. Never again, I promise.

San Francisco...
9. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

Usually people do mind posting their real names on forums due to privacy issues. Unless that isn't your real name you posted then there is no problem.

accra
10. Re: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi

ok thanks for the tip. I'll withhold next time.

Naive Nelly over here.

Reply to: Commending Kenya Airways customer service in Nairobi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted