We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe

Adelaide, Australia
Europe

Hi we are travelling to europe in October 2015... We will start a destination in london but want to visit Ireland for 2 days and paris for 2 days Greece for 2days then rome for 3 days...my concern is that will we have to pay for excess luggage on all flights going to visit these countries can anyone help us to see if we can get away from paying for excess...thxs

18 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 44
1. Re: Europe

That's really a 'piece of string' type question, and there's no way to answer it. We would need specifics of how much you're intending to carry, which airlines and what class fare you're flying at that given time.

Edited: 2:37 am, September 01, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: Europe

If you plan to fly with low cost carriers then believe every word of the Terms and Conditions about the size and / or weight limits for checked bags or hand baggage. If you book a flight that allows one checked bag up to 15 kg and yours weighs 15.5 kg then know you will pay for the extra 500 gm. Keep in mind as well that the airports a low cost carrier uses may be some distance from the city centre, and add in the time and cost of travelling from and to the airport.

Two days in each of Ireland, Paris and Greece plus three days Rome will mean about 24 hours of sightseeing time in each when arrivals and departures are factored in.

Adelaide, Australia
3. Re: Europe

Well we will be allowed up 30kgs and I have been doing some research but wondered if there was anyway we could get out of paying on each flight

Loughborough...
reviews: 19
4. Re: Europe

Well it all depends how much luggage you want to bring in the first place. If you keep each persons baggage down to 20kg you'll reduce the risk.

Lots of European airlines use "menu pricing" so you have to pay for ALL luggage other than hand baggage, others allow up to 20kg/23kg included in the fare. You really need to look at the competing airlines on the routes you want to take and see what their allowances are. Always book on the airlines 'own websites as that way you'll see clearly what is included and what you'll have to pay for. It's almost always cheaper to pay for extra luggage on line in advance rather than at the airport, and again you need the airline's website for this.

Adelaide, Australia
5. Re: Europe

Thxs...the days will be excluding flights etc....I know it's a lot but trying to see as much as possible in 5 weeks did look into train travel but lose too much time and prices weren't that much cheaper

uk
reviews: 20
6. Re: Europe

" but wondered if there was anyway we could get out of paying on each flight"

Yes it is quite simple don't take any hold luggage only hand and make sure that conforms to the airlines T&C

There is no "getting out" of not paying fees on low cost carriers.

Deb

Loughborough...
reviews: 19
7. Re: Europe

You may well be allowed 30kg on the flights from Adelaide to Europe, but unless you fly business class on the major alliance carriers you won't be able to bring anything like that much on internal European flights. In fact some carriers will refuse to check in bags that heavy at all, and others will add major excess baggage charges.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
8. Re: Europe

Why do you need that much luggage? We have traveled RTW for 7 months with just 15kgs each. We look at our flights and then take luggage as per the lowest allowance on our route. We've never paid for excess.

Just because you have 30kg allowance on your international flight doesn't mean you have to or even should take that much.

You'll find you'll get pretty tired of lugging it up and down steps and over cobblestones in European cities too.

Edited: 3:06 am, September 01, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
9. Re: Europe

Yes I think we will have to pack as light as possible

London
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 73
10. Re: Europe

As you've outlined your trip, you will be seeing mainly arrival and departure areas of airports and motorways in and out of towns/cities. Regardless of luggage (I've travelled for a month with one 15kg case which was plenty, just make sure you book during the booking process on LCC's, it's not that much), I would seriously reconsider your itinerary.

Reply to: Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted