We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

Leith, Edinburgh
reviews: 34
BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

Has anyone experienced a delay to a UK Domestic flight to Heathrow T5 with BA then also had a connecting flight to the US from Heathrow T5?

Do you know if BA wait for connecting passengers who have checked in baggage at start of their journey from a UK Domestic flight and through to their final destination in the US.

Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

No they won't wait, the people on that flight might also have connections, plus it costs an awful lot of money to miss a slot and wait for another one.

If you are on one ticket, they will book you on the next flight with available seats, which is not always the next flight, it could be the next day or the next week,

If you want to make sure you make a connection, leave enough time in between. Delays happen.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

I would not expect a BA international flight to the USA to "wait" for passengers to get there from other flights. Imagine what that would do to their schedule if every flight waited around for other flights?

Froggy and I were writing at the same exact time! Great minds!!

Edited: 9:13 am, August 29, 2014
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

If you are on one ticket....

=================

This is VERY important. The costs of missing your US flight on a separate ticket and having to pay for a last minute ticket will be nothing short of gargantuan.

Edited: 9:18 am, August 29, 2014
Leith, Edinburgh
4. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

It is on one ticket

Loughborough...
5. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

Unlikely unless there are an awful lot of them. Don't forget many people travelling on BA flights to the USA are connecting there onto AA/US domestic flights. If the plane leaves Heathrow late it will arrive in the US late and they in turn may miss their connections (or flights all over the USA will get delayed too). It also depends on the turnround time the plane has in the USA - if late arrival from the UK means late departure back because they can't shave anything off the turnround time, then people connecting ONTO UK domestics will miss their connections. Also there are loads of LHR-USA flights each day, and the option to rebook delayed passengers onto a later flight is always there. If like PHX or AUS there is only one flight a day, a flight to an AA/US hub and a connecting domestic flight is arranged.

Heathrow has a system called conformance. Transfer passengers need to have their boarding passes scanned at Flight Connections a fixed number of minutes before scheduled departure time (or before, of course) and if they arrive after the conformance time, they aren't allowed through, but redirected to airline staff for re-booking.

This connection policy isn't unique to BA, almost all airlines work this way - if they can hold a connecting flight without causing knock-on problems they will, but more often than not the risk of cumulative delays snowballing means that they can't.

Edited: 9:24 am, August 29, 2014
UK
reviews: 85
6. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

I was once on a flight out of LHR where due to weather delays, 100 people missed our flight (bummer as otherwise I'd have been bumped to busienss :-(

Point being, no they most certainly will not wait, whats the point it only messes up the people on that flight who might then miss their flights unless they waited,and so on. Unless its literally you are one minute away and they radio ahead, its not going to happen.

I've only ever seen one flight wait, it was last flight of the day to a destination and there were about 30-40 folk joining our plane.

If you need to worry about it you should choose a connection with more time. Or just let what will be, be.

Leith, Edinburgh
7. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

Hi Andy

You are a man who seems to know what he is talking about :) I am impressed, although I now feel very nervous that the connection is too tight! When we booked the flights the connection it gave us was 1 hr 25 between flights :(

UK
reviews: 85
8. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

1:25 all inside T5 should be a breeze as long as its on time.

Leith, Edinburgh
9. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

Unfortunately the incoming flight to LHR T5 has a history of being delayed... so que sera sera!!

Leith, Edinburgh
10. Re: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS

It is a BA flight from Edinburgh to LHR T5 then connecting flight from LHR T5 to JFK with BA as well

Reply to: BA Flights and Connections - DELAYS
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted