We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paid business class, not given business class

Birmingham, United...
Paid business class, not given business class

Had a family wedding in Singapore, so booked up with Emirates. Prior to booking, i had damaged my quadracep muscle in my right knee, so was struggling to bend it. Ideally i would have loved have the front row seats, so i would have been more relaxed with the leg room, but i knew this would be a risk, and i may not get them.

So, i took the plunge, and booked business class seats. That way i could be guarenteed i would be more relaxed and less uncomfy.

The first leg from Manchester to Dubai was fine. Really enjoyed the luxury, and the leg room was perfect. However, on the way from Dubai to Singapore the plane was changed and i was switched back to economy as there wasnt enough seats in business class to accomdate everyone. They did not assist me in getting a front row seat, despite me requesting and having a business class seat. I was told to write in about the issue about my business class seat, and would be given a refund.

This was actually a rather long flight, and i was in agony, basically spent most of the flight standing up, walking around as i couldnt bend my knee for hours on end. I was in agony by the time arrived in Singapore.

The rest of the legs on my return journey were in business class and fine.

Now, when i got back i got a generic response from Emirates, without even talk of a refund my missed leg i had paid for business class. However, i dont just want one leg reimbursed, i wany my entire flight reimbursed. I paid for a level of comfort, that was almost 5 times more than economy in terms of cost. I was not given that service on all my journey. Really was horrible that i had to endure what i had. I mean had i booked economy, and then complained i wasnt given a extra leg room seat, i can understand people saying it was your own fault, but i was proactive and spent the money to look after myself. Emirates let me down.

I wouldnt buy a BMW and be happy that a few seats were missing. And i am not happy with this.

I would like advice at how to pursue this. So far Emirates havent even returned my business class ticket for the Dubai to Singapore portion of flight. On continuing to persue them they have offered me airmiles, which is of no use to me.

8 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Paid business class, not given business class

"i dont just want one leg reimbursed, i wany my entire flight reimbursed." - Sorry but that's not going to happen and is an unrealistic expectation in that you were provided business class for some legs.

EU 261/2004 covers involuntary downgrading and the compensation due - as your flight originated from the UK it probably applies.

Birmingham, United...
2. Re: Paid business class, not given business class

Tom thanks ... what does EU 261/2004 involve? Will, look into this later when i get home from work.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 84
3. Re: Paid business class, not given business class

Try doing a search on this board, and you'll pull up some good threads discussing this.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
4. Re: Paid business class, not given business class

Am I having a déjà vu moment or am I dreaming that this has already been posted recently?

Why would they reimburse your entire flight cost? You got exactly what you paid for on some legs.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
5. Re: Paid business class, not given business class

Would EU261 cover a leg between two non-EU destinations on a non-EU carrier? It may be part of an itinerary that includes the EU but I don't think that'll cut it unless the flight number was the same on MAN-DXB as DXB-SIN

Loughborough...
reviews: 19
6. Re: Paid business class, not given business class

No, EC261/2004 really does cover it as long as it is booked on one ticket as a through journey that starts in the EU/EEA. There are cases with mis-connects in the USA off transatlantics where the agents on the ground have denied that EC261/2004 applies to the connecting flight, but Customer Services have paid up without argument. These weren't involuntary downgrades, but delay/cancellation, but if one section applies, they all do.

The debate will be whether the involuntary downgrade payment (75% of fare) is due just for the affected segment or on the whole journey. Case law seems ambiguous.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
7. Re: Paid business class, not given business class

Cool, am glad to be wrong here!

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Paid business class, not given business class

Your last resort, if you get no joy via other routes, is to sue them in the small claims court. You can do this with any company that has an address in the UK. They clearly didn't supply what you'd paid for.

You can do this all online, it's cost effective and there's no need to involve solicitors, etc. Of course, you need to determine what a reasonable claim value might be, and asking for full reimbursement may be pushing your luck. I assume you kept all your boarding cards, etc.

But do pursue customer services first and the EU261/2004 angle, give them a reasonable time in which to respond and be very clear what you want from them. I'd personally stay factual and leave out the emotional distress piece.

Lastly, was there no option to travel on a later flight ? They have several a day to Singapore. Or where you on a deadline ?

Reply to: Paid business class, not given business class
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted