We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

Bucks
reviews: 37
Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

I am flying from Luton to Dalaman (Turkey) next week with Monarch and am wondering whether or not to bother with online check-in. We already have allocated seats, so as far as I can see the only extra thing that online check-in offers is that you don't have to have your boarding pass printed at the check-in desk. Things that are putting me off are: (1) I've noticed over the past couple of years that because now most people are checking in online, the queues for the online check-in desks are often actually longer than the queues for people who haven't checked in online (2) Last year we had a 12 hour flight delay - the original plane had a problem and the airline then split passengers into two groups and people who had NOT checked in online were flown out on a much earlier plane than those who had checked in online - goodness knows why.

34 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

I always check in online if possible. I like to know that I am on the flight and there are no problems. Even more so these days when I read a few of stories on here regarding people who waited to airport check in being bumped off of flights due to overbooking.

Loughborough...
reviews: 25
2. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

In your particular situation, with your particular airline, there's not much benefit.

However someone flying without hold baggage would save queueing at check-in altogether.

On some airlines it is compulsory (Ryanair, easyJet to name but two) Others charge you more if you check-in at the airport (Jet2) or allow free seat selection at on-line check-in (BA). It's generally agreed that airlines which routinely overbook are more likely to leave you on your chosen flight instead of bumping you if you check in on line.

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

You can join either baggage drop or check in queue if you have checked in on line, just go for the smaller queue.

Checking in on line reduces your risk of being bumped if the flight is oversold, so worth doing for that reason alone, you have signalled intent to fly, as well as giving you a choice of seats and being able to join any queue.

I can't comment on your people not checked in on line flying out first, except to say I am sure there was another reason behind it, because that is very strange indeed,

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 246
4. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

On my last Monarch flight out of BHX the baggage drop queue (those who had checked-in on line) had 4 in it and the other queue 50+ so that is a great reason to always check-in on line.

SS

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 185
5. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

In the old days, you have to call the airlines 72 hrs before departure to reconfirm your flights or you get bumped off. I don't know of any airline still requires reconfirmation these days but one can think of online check in as an analogy to reconfirmation though it is not absolutely necessary.

Seats allocated can also be changed at the check in desk, so no reason not to check in online if you can.

San Francisco...
reviews: 30
6. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

Checking in online is something we always make a point of doing. Reason is the same as what the earlier posters have noted: Checking in online helps alleviate one from being bumped.

Edited: 11:35 am, August 27, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
7. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

<< I don't know of any airline still requires reconfirmation these days but one can think of online check in as an analogy to reconfirmation though it is not absolutely necessary.>>

I agree.

One knows that they are on the passenger list, and that seats have been allocated, BUT I always want the airline to know that I intend to fly, so I use OLCI, to reconfirm with them, what my intentions are.

As has been stated, when a flight is overbooked, the most likely folk to be bumped are those, who have not confirmed/reconfirmed that they ARE flying at that time, on that flight. I do not want to be one of those.

Just my way of approaching it.

Hunt

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 49
8. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

I think it's important on some carriers, and much less so on other carriers. Overbooking is standard procedure in today's world, and booking online almost insures that you will fly.

By the way, yours is an excellent question!

UK
reviews: 90
9. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

The other reasons to check in online are that if there is some snafu with your tickets you discover it 24 hours ahead and have a day to fix things not a couple of hours, and if the flight time has changed you'll also find out.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Park, Gros Morne National Park
reviews: 717
10. Re: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?

An attendant told me they bump u according to when you checked in, so online makes it likely u will fly.

Reply to: Is there still any benefit in checking in online?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted