We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 175
Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

I'm looking at flights from Savannah to Dallas early May next year. Prices for the under 3hr direct flight are coming in on Skyscanner at well over $400A. This seems kind of expensive. Is there a reason for this, and do these flights ever get discounted?

11 replies to this topic
Indianapolis...
reviews: 43
1. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

I can barely find a flight under $400 anymore here in the US. Savannah is a vacation location so I am sure that the airlines don't feel they need to discount the prices. I assume you are flying American? Flying to a hub can also be more expensive too (at least in my experience). Probably not a very helpful answer!

Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

Airlines charge what the customer is willing to pay, while figuring in a large number of variables: connecting flights, competition, seasonal demand, and more. Distance of the flight often has little to do with the final price.

Doylestown...
reviews: 272
3. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

Since we have moved to the USA, we have noticed that flights are increasing in price and deeply discounted flights are uncommon - as more airlines merge, price competition is reduced. In your case, a lot will depend on how much competition there is on the route. If there is only 1 airline offering direct flights, then the price will be higher than a route with 2-3 airlines competing for passengers. If you are trying to just book one-way, then airlines often charge a premium versus a return flight. Airlines may or may not offer a discounted price at a later date - who knows?

UK
reviews: 85
4. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

Prices for the under 3hr direct flight are coming in on Skyscanner at well over $400A

=======

... and let me guess, indirect flights are cheaper? So, either take an indirect one, or pay more for the added convenience and quicker direct flight.

Airlines dont charge by the mile, or how many flights, they charge what people will pay, which generally is based on convenience and time.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
5. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

It's really too early to be looking at flights for May, but I would not expect that particular route to be heavily discounted. Savannah is a small airport - 15 gates and only half a dozen airlines providing service. There is virtually no competition flying to DFW, and only American files there non-stop.

Can you rearrange your itinerary to depart from a different airport? It might be worth it to drive to Atlanta (3.5 hours away by car) where there will be many more options for flights.

-JimG

Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

Well, could always do an indirect flight via Atlanta, which kicks the price down a bit. But we want to connect with a DFW-SYD flight that night, so the fewer potential complications the better. Might just have to suck it up.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
7. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

Can't you just tag the SAV connection onto your DFW-SYD itinerary? Probably won't cost much extra at all.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
8. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

"But we want to connect with a DFW-SYD flight that night, so the fewer potential complications the better. Might just have to suck it up."

If you are planning an internal domestic flight to connect on the same day to a long haul international flight then I'd seriously reconsider your plans. Miss that connection because the internal flight was delayed or cancelled and you could have to buy a new long haul ticket - the cost of that would put the cost of the internal flight into perspective.

If it was me I'd fly to DFW the day before my long haul flight to reduce the risks associated with connections on separately ticketed flights.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

For a smaller airport line savannah on a route without a ton of competition, $400-$500 sounds about right.

American dominates DFW so flights from there to smaller airports generally do not have any options.

Melbourne, Australia
10. Re: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?

I'll get it costed as part of the total package and see what happens. At the moment its MELB-SYD-DFW, MSY-CHS, SAV-DFW-SYD-MELB.

I always like to leave at least one other potential connection between a domestic flight and an international connection, in case there is a problem. For everything else, there's travel insurance.

Reply to: Savannah Georgia to DFW- Why So Expensive?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted