We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

Seattle, Washington
ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

We are heading to Paris spring 2015 and we are trying to decide if we should fly Seattle to Paris on Delta (nonstop) or Icelandair (short layover in Reykjavik- 55 mins to be exact). Flight times are comparable, but it is a $1200 savings for our family of 4 to fly Icelandair. Has anyone flown Seattle to Reykjavik? How was the flight experience? I just read some unfavorable reviews online, but it sounds like there was a pilot's strike in May this past year. I'm also worried about a 55 min layover and making our connection with 2 kids, ages 5 and 6. I also just read some unfavorable reviews for Delta as well... but that was back in 2012 when they just took over the route for Air France. Has anyone flown the Seattle- Paris nonstop on Delta recently? Is it worth spending an extra $1200? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

Of the two I would choose Icelandair. Fifty five minutes is quite enough time to make a connection at KEF, it's a small and efficient airport. You will go through passport control there as that will be the first port of entry into Schengen, but the set up is designed for quick turnarounds.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
2. Re: ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

Between the two I would opt for Delta. I haven't flown the SEA-CDG route but love the SLC-CDG service. I've found Delta's trans-Atlantic/Pacific service to be exceptional. Most importantly, you would avoid the connection with the kids, It's just so much easier to do a non-stop. Ultimately, though, $1,200 is a lot so can understand the difficult decision.

Good luck.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 84
3. Re: ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

To save $1200 this is a no brainier to me.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

For a $1200 saving I'd fly IcelandAir. As TP says KEF is a small airport and IcelandAir has carved out a very good niche for this sort of service.

The only thing to bear in mind is that IcelandAir has a buy on board meal service in economy, but even then you'd still be saving $1150.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 65
5. Re: ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

Add a stop over in Iceland at no extra charge to your airfare. Iits the most amazing country.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
6. Re: ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

Icelandair gets most of it's business from people connecting via KEF, so you can be sure that you and your luggage are less likely to miss the next flight than with most other western hemisphere airlines

But I agree - have a layover and enjoy something of Iceland. It really is worth it

seattle
reviews: 1
7. Re: ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

I've flown both routes SEA-CDG on Delta and SEA-KEF, the latter once directly for a visit to the lovely island and once en-route to London. No discernible difference in service or comfort between them except for the added cost for food on Icelandair There should be no problem with connecting flights at KEF and the kids might welcome a chance to run about the airport so given the price difference I would recommend the Islandair route. However as nice as Iceland is it is probably best to concentrate your vacation in Paris. There are many cheap packages from Seattle that offer hotels and flights to Iceland. Something to consider for a later trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
8. Re: ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?

Assuming you're flying economy there's likely little difference. If in business class there's an enormous chasm between FI and DL.

Reply to: ISO Feedback- Seattle to Paris via Delta or Icelandair?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted