We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vueling Airlines-refunds

Washington, DC
reviews: 13
Vueling Airlines-refunds

We booked 4 tickets to travel from Barcelona to Nice on Vueling Airlines. Due to a health emergency, one of the passengers had to undergo surgery 5 days before the start of vacation and was put on complete bed rest for 3 weeks. The other passengers are his wife and sons. We sent in a request to be able to use the tickets within 6 months and cancel the current reservation (about a week before the flight date). We attached a note from the doctor specifying the need for cancellation. Vueling responded asking for certification of relationship of the passengers. We explained the relationship and asked what they wanted to prove it. They asked for birth certificates and marriage certificates. Due to security concerns I refuse to provide copies of these certificates. Is this normal for airlines? I thought doctor's note was sufficient. Anyone else have this experience? What can be done? we are not asking for a refund of the money but per their rules asking if we can use the tickets within 6 months.

5 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
1. Re: Vueling Airlines-refunds

What can be done is to either follow the rules of the airline or perhaps to claim on your travel insurance. I don't see a "security issue" with providing a birth certificate copy or a marriage certificate but if you don't want to comply with what the airline requests then I don't suppose we can do much for you. The doctor's note only gives the reason for the patient to cancel the trip. It does not prove why the other passengers also must cancel.

Edinburgh, United...
2. Re: Vueling Airlines-refunds

Unless you have a changeable ticket you will be relying on good will from the airline. Probably easier to just claim off travel insurance

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
3. Re: Vueling Airlines-refunds

IMO not unreasonable to ask for supporting documentation. Unfortunately some people don't tell airlines the truth so perhaps they need proof that you are related. Having the same surname does not prove anything.

So either forget about it and claim on your travel insurance or send the documents.

Washington, DC
reviews: 13
4. Re: Vueling Airlines-refunds

The doctor's note mentions that wife is needed to provide 24 hour care for next 3 weeks. The other two passengers are children. I am not sure why US airlines can accept this note from the doctor and not Vueling. The names are mentioned on the note. I am giving up on them.

Edinburgh, United...
5. Re: Vueling Airlines-refunds

It is not unusual with European Airlines to enforce the fare rules of the ticket, refund a small amount of taxes (less admin fee in many cases) and direct you to your travel insurance. Some airlines go as far as stating that a non-refundable ticket will only be refunded on death of the passenger (by production of the death certificate)

The concept of airline credit and being able to change non-changeable tickets tends to be alien over here which I guess is why many people would not consider not having travel insurance in place for situations such as the one you find yourself in

Reply to: Vueling Airlines-refunds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted