We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

We plan to fly to flight Sydney-LA on Qantas, LA-Honolulu on Hawaiian, and then Honolulu-Sydney on Jetstar. All legs will be one way tickets that we will purchase BEFORE leaving Australia. My research shows that it is logistically possible and falls within our budget. My specific question is "Does any one anticipate ANY problems AT ALL with this plan including customs/immigration issues?"

TIA

9 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
1. Re: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

Hi,

It sounds like you will be staying in each city for a while before going on to the next leg/s of your trip. That will be just fine. There shouldn't be any issues. The only time that buying separate tickets creates issues is when you are trying to fly on one ticket and then immediately going on to the next leg. If the first leg is late then you'd have to buy a new ticket. Since you'll be staying in each place for a while that sort of problem won't affect you.

Illinois
reviews: 16
2. Re: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

I think as long as you have a ticket home, immigration won't care. They just want to make sure you're (a) not a criminal and (b) not planing to move in.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 165
3. Re: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

I see no issues, other than the one mentioned, regarding connecting, and needing to gather luggage (perhaps after Customs), then re-checking it at the ticketing counter.

Due to many schedule changes, we are often faced with similar, though none relate to international flights (could be something there, that we just do not encounter?), and have had no issues.

In our cases, we often fly PHX - SFO on a one-way ticket for a meeting, that needs a certain amount of flexibility. Then, several days later, SFO - LHR, with RT. Finally, an unknown time in SF, with a one-way SFO - PHX. Variations on this theme have included SYD, CDG and FCO. In our cases, we have not been connecting, but flying out a day, or days later. Same for our inbound - arrive at SFO (or LAX), spend a day, or days, then back "home" to PHX. While there IS international travel associated with the itineraries, we are not usually doing one-way, for those.

Good luck,

Hunt

4. Re: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

That's all good info to have. You've appeased my concerns! Thanks all!

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
5. Re: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

There is an interesting, although older, thread on Flyertalk about this issue:

flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1005347-one-w…

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 48
6. Re: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

Is this really the cheapest way to do the trip? In my experience one way tickets are way expensive.

As to the US, as post @2 says, they just want proof you aren't moving in and any onwards ticket will do for that if they even bother to ask. We have NEVER been asked to show onwards tickets. Maybe why we are coming and length of stay. We probably don't look suspicious enough.

Edited: 11:46 pm, August 19, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
7. Re: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

Lynn that is how we plan most of our international travel these days and one way tickets are the same price as returns if you use LCCs.

We flew around the world last year using all one way tickets and it was waaaaaaaay cheaper than any RTW or other tickets I could find.

Total cost for a RTW which included 9 domestic US flights was <$3000 each.

We were asked for proof of onward journey when we checked in for our first jetstar flight to HNL. Other than that we weren't asked again.

Edited: 11:58 pm, August 19, 2014
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 48
8. Re: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

Nozzie, interesting, but what are LCCs?

edit Low cost carriers?

Edited: 12:10 am, August 20, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
9. Re: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?

Yes low cost carriers

Reply to: Travelling to and from USA on one way tickets - problems?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted