We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany

Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany

We have planned a return trip from Italy, flying into Frankfurt Germany at 12:05pm, leaving at 12:50pm both supposedly in Terminal 1 on Lufthansa. Do you think there will be any problems? I have been reading that Frankfurt's airport is huge - just want to get a heads up...Thanks for any input!

7 replies to this topic
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
1. Re: Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany

That sounds very tight, you arrive on an inter Schengen flight so will have passport control to get through.

The gate for your flight to the US will close 15 mins before departure. So if your Rome flight is even a few mins late then you will most likely miss the connection. As they are selling you the ticket then I guess it is a legal timing but it will be stressful! If the worst happens then they will put you on the next available flight but that could involve another connection in the US.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
2. Re: Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany

I personally wouldn't take a 45 minute connection in any airport - the flight to the US will be about to start boarding as you land and any delay to your incoming flight simply increases your stress levels. Even if you run to make the flight there is still a risk your checked bags won't make it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 39
3. Re: Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany

I wouldn't quite go as far as saying you definitely won't make it, but it's mighty tight, and there's a pretty high probability of a miss. I wouldn't take it - and that's coming from someone who actually likes FRA

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany

Most of the airport is T1 so it could be a bit of a walk from one to another. And you will have passport control. And they'll be boarding about when your first flight lands even in the best circumstances. So yes, it's too tight, and you could definitely have problems. You'd have a good chance of missing the connection.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 253
5. Re: Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany

If your flights are with the same airline I would say you have a chance of making the flight.

Edited: 6:42 pm, August 18, 2014
6. Re: Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany

Thank you all so much for your responses!!! It helps to figure out how to plan. :)

7. Re: Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond - sure helps trying to plan!!! :-)

Reply to: Enought time? to US from Italy thru Frankfurt Germany
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted