We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Checkin

San Francisco...
Southwest Checkin

I checked in our family of four together right when the 24 hour mark hit. However, I got boarding numbers A56, A59, B2, and B5. How is it that these numbers contain gaps even though I checked in all four of us at the same exact time with one confirmation number? Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 180
1. Re: Southwest Checkin

That shows how many folk were logged-in, and hit the Check-in button at exactly T-24.

I've had two browsers pointed, and hit Check-in, and instantly Check-in, and had up to three people between us.

Now, with SWA, those are just the slots in the boarding matrix, so the chances of sitting together are still quite good.

Good luck,

Hunt

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
2. Re: Southwest Checkin

At this point, does it matter? As noted, many log in at the same time. Others pay to use early bird check-in.You are going to ask Southwest to let you all board together? You may well all still sit together. but no guarantees. With Southwest, you take your chances in return for 2 free bags and, sometimes, a lower fare. Planes aren't huge. You will all be within sight of each other. Have a good flight.

Edited: 3:50 pm, August 18, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: Southwest Checkin

Most people who understand how SWA boards and have access to a PC hit check in right at 24 hours just like you did. I'm guessing in the time it took for Southwest's computer to check in all four in your party, a few people squeezed in between. There's 60 in each group so the distance from A56 to B54 is not much. I think there's some people (maybe families with young kids?) that are allowed to board between A and B.

It is a little odd, though. I would have thought everyone on the same reservation would be adjacent to each other, but I've never checked in more than two so am not sure.

Phoenix, AZ
4. Re: Southwest Checkin

Wes,

<< I think there's some people (maybe families with young kids?) that are allowed to board between A and B.>>

I seem to remember mention being made of similar, as the boarding process begins. It's been so long since we had regular SWA tickets, instead of the Business Select, that I just can't remember when that "family with young children" boarding takes place.

Hunt

Illinois
reviews: 54
5. Re: Southwest Checkin

According to the Southwest website:

"An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should both board with the “A” boarding group."

I think anything in the A's or early B's is fine and you won't have any problems sitting near/next to each other.

Akron, OH
reviews: 2
6. Re: Southwest Checkin

I just flew SW last week and the agent specifically announced that if people are traveling together and want to sit together they should board with the person with the lower number assigned ( so, if you have the A, but want to sit with the relative with the B, you should wait until the B's are called).

Phoenix, AZ
7. Re: Southwest Checkin

<<"An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should both board with the “A” boarding group.">>

That was about what I thought I remembered. Thank you for that clarification. As we now always are in the A Group, and are never traveling with children, we just do not pick up on such details, that could be meaningful to others.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Phoenix, AZ
8. Re: Southwest Checkin

<<I got boarding numbers A56, A59, B2, and B5. How is it that these numbers contain gaps even though I checked in all four of us at the same exact time with one confirmation number?>>

In this case, it appears that first 2 folk beat your second pax, 2 beat your third pax, and then 2 beat your fourth pax.

As mentioned, before we began flying Business Select, and T-24 was highly important to us, even with the same Conf #, with two browsers open and tiled to allow quick clicks, we have had up to 3 others get in between us. I am talking about the time to do a click-click, and probably in less than one second.

Good luck,

Hunt

Illinois
reviews: 54
9. Re: Southwest Checkin

My husband and I have had a few places between our boarding numbers, but I think it was because we had two separate reservations with one being paid for with points and the other paid with $. It's never been a problem to sit together though since we are ready to press the button at the 24 hour point.

We weren't able to sit together this past weekend though. We were having so much fun in Seattle that we forgot about checking in until the morning of our flight. There were only 5 people behind me, and the plane was full - ugh!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
10. Re: Southwest Checkin

but IllnTrav--you lived to tell the tale--even if you didn't sit together. --GASP!

Reply to: Southwest Checkin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted