We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

Quezon City...
reviews: 4
Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

Hi! I'm flying to MNL - ICN - JFK via Korean Air (Economy). It's my first time on Korean Air. I am planning to use this bag (larger than average personal bag) as a personal bag and then bring a suitcase as a carry-on bag. Here's the link with the dimensions: travelonbags.com/anti-theft/signature/anti-t…

I will use this as my laptop bag/personal bag. My dilemma is that before, on a Delta flight, I used a similar sized bag as my personal bag but then the flight crew at the gate, once boarding, informed me that I should "check" the bag. I'm not sure but I think I remember putting a tag on it and handing it to them and I think they just set it in one part of the cabin. I claimed the bag from them once disembarking already.

Will this by any chance happen again on this future flight? just curious... Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
1. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

That looks to me like a large tote bag. I have the same sort of bag that I use as my personal item. It goes UNDER the seat while my wheeled carryon goes in the overhead compartment.

I would not bring 2 bags on board to put both of them in the overhead sooo I'd only bring it if it can squish down to fit under the seat.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
2. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

It's pushing it. They've got a total weight limit for your carry on plus personal item. And say it has to be a briefcase, handbag, or laptop. It'll depend if the gate agent considers it a handbag. I would have a small bag inside with anything critical (jewelry, documents, money, etc.) that you could pull out if they force you to gate check it like they did on Delta.

When they gate check it, they don't put it in the cabin. They put it in the hold but usually return it at the gate when you de-plane. But I've never gate checked anything on KAL and am not sure if they follow the same procedure or if you'd have to get it at baggage claim. Either way, it's in the hold with the checked luggage.

www.koreanair.com/…

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 255
3. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

Only if it can fit under the seat would I lthink it would be a personal bag.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 180
4. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

@OP,

If you chance it, I would make sure that there was nothing in that oversized bag, that you would be afraid of loosing, should gate-checking be required.

Good luck,

Hunt

5. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:00 am, August 19, 2014

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 52
6. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

I looked at a luggage site and a normal laptop carrying briefcase has measurements of 17x12.5x6

This measures 14x12.5x4 so I would say it is well within limits for your personal item.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight
7. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

Just a suggestion.

Wear the bag across your body, it will make it less noticeable. It will appear smaller. The bag you are suggesting doesn't seem any larger than most (UK) handbags.

Do Korean Airlines give any info for "personal bag size"?

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight
8. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

Just to add I use one of these ....in an unobtrusive beige colour!. It easily holds all my personal items inc. Camera and tablet etc.http://www.kipling.com/uk-en/handbags/across-body-bags/alvar-1.html

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

I don't know what will happen on the day, but I would say that looks like a fairly normal size hand bag to me if you put it in comparison to a lap top bag or briefcase.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 132
10. Re: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?

Looks normal enough to me! Worn on your person, it wouldn't look that big.

Then again, I'm not Korean Air :)

Reply to: Can I use a large bag as a personal bag in a plane?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted