We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

Canada
reviews: 1
On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

This past June, on a flight from London England to Dublin my baggage was left behind at Heathrow and I did not receive it for 5 days. This was unfortunate as I was travelling around Ireland.

In any case I contacted the insurance company affiliated with my credit card, which offered delayed baggage insurance and was told I could purchase up to $1000 worth of personal items - and they outlined the paper work / receipts I would need to make the claim.

Much to my shock my claim was turned down because my baggage was pooled with my travelling companion by the Aer Lingus check in attendant. This occurs frequently at check in, when the attendant tags the bags and puts all of the receipts onto one boarding pass (common with familys) Pooling can only occur when two or more people are on the same reservation – which was the case – we were two. I was able to provide the ticket receipt, and boarding passes, which documents all of the things I discuss.

Apparently my name has to be on my baggage receipt, which is not possible because my bag was pooled with my travelling companion. Between the two of us we had two checked bags. My companions boarding pass stated she had 2 X 20 kgs

(Including the receipts with her name on both) My boarding pass stated that my baggage was pooled - so no receipt was provided. Because I do not actually have a baggage receipt with my name - although the boarding pass indicates my bag was pooled - they are claiming I did not have a bag!!!

Most of the receipts that the insurance company asked for indicates to me that they work in tandem with the air line industry – asking for paper work that the airline industry can produce – such as receipts, boarding passes, baggage tickets, tracking forms etc. Why would they ignore or not acknowledge pooling and how it works given it is frequently done? Does this mean that any one who has a pooled bag is not covered? If that is the case – the general public needs to know this and this should be stipulated in their policies.

Do I have any recourse in this situation?

11 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

If the delayed baggage is on your travelling companions baggage receipt can he/she not claim under his/her travel insurance - not perfect but might avoid a financial loss.

Illinois
reviews: 16
2. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

Interesting, as I have never thought about this. They almost always stick both mine and my daughter's stickers on my boarding pass. Sometimes they don't stick them on anything and just give them to me still stuck to the paper backing (actually that's probably about 50% of the time).

Is there a name on the sticker? I don't have one leftover right now to look at, but I don't think they had names on them. I guess in my case it wouldn't really matter as my daughter and I would both be on the same policy anyway.

I do know, however, that my daughter's and my bags tracked separately on Delta (when my bag got lost), but I don't remember if there was a name assigned or if I was tracking just by the number. I think there must have been a name connected somehow, or I wouldn't have known which bag was which. That was one of the times they didn't stick the stickers anywhere.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 274
3. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

As Slough wrote, check-in staff will allocate one luggage per pax, pretty much randomly if the luggage allowance is one piece. And nowadays, the name of the pax is normally on the sticker (and if not, it is associated to one pax). When travelling in family with family insurances, this is not much of a problem. When travelling with friends or companions, it can be as different insurance policies can be involved.

And this seems to be Slough's case. The delayed luggage was checked-in under the compagnon's name so his/her insurance policies are those to be contacted, whether it is linked to his/her credit card or travel insurance or home insurance.

UK
reviews: 85
4. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

I beleive this is unfair and would make a claim through the insurance ombudsman.

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

I also think this is unfair and agree with joes suggestion.

Canada
6. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

Yes there is a name on the sticker .. at least Aer Lingus does that. There is also a record on the boarding pass.

My travelling companions boarding pass said she had two bags (only one was hers) My boarding pass said my bag was pooled... which implies I had a bag.. otherwise it would have said nothing. That is what is so frustrating. You can only pool if you are under the same reservation- so they know we were checking in together.

Canada
7. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

yes I have escalated it - and also have asked Aer Lingus if they can provide any additional paper work.

Canada
8. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

Insurance companies should be stating that pooled baggage is not covered. They do not. Many bags are pooled at check in - funny thing if I had been the first to check in between the two of us... none of this would have occurred.. Also not paying much attention at check in ..who gives a second thought to who gets the baggage tags on their boarding pass......until you bag goes missing!! :(

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 274
9. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

"My boarding pass said my bag was pooled... ": Then you might well have a case!

Good luck

Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 211
10. Re: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on

We've suffered twice through delayed baggage and both of us have been able to claim successfully for emergency purchases despite our luggage tags being pooled under one name. I'd fight it!

Reply to: On a recent trip from London England to Dublin Ireland on
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted