We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing flights with 5 year old and infant

changing flights with 5 year old and infant

I have been flying since I was little and have flown once with my son when he was 9 months but they have always been direct flights. I really want to travel through southwest airlines but on the way back I would need to change planes at the Midway Chicago airport. There is an hour to change planes but I have never been to that airport and I know its huge.I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not? I thought about using Frontier airlines but I keep reading horror stories. I would seriously cry if Frontier denied us from flying after booking and paying for tickets. Its been 5 years since I seen my family in Virginia and now I can afford to go again.

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 44
1. Re: changing flights with 5 year old and infant

Hello,

It's a very difficult question to answer, as it's very circumstantial on a number of variables, plus we as a blind audience don't know your travel capacity/capability with the kids.

As for whether the connection time is sufficient for you, would depend entirely on the above, plus on time performance of the inbound sector.

I unfortunately cannot comment about Frontier as I have not flown with them. Are those two the only carriers available for your route? And are there longer connection alternatives with WN?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
2. Re: changing flights with 5 year old and infant

I am not sure what your question is, but don't know why you couldn't make a one hour connection at this airport, if your first flight was on time.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 99
3. Re: changing flights with 5 year old and infant

Chicago Midway airport is smaller and easier to get around than Chicago O'Hare.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
4. Re: changing flights with 5 year old and infant

Why would Frontier deny you boarding? I'm confused.

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 34
5. Re: changing flights with 5 year old and infant

Carry a single checked bag, preferably a back pack or something with a strap. The 5 year old will have to walk. Have a talk before the trip about how important his role will be. He will need to move himself, because you will be tied up with the infant and the bag. There is a good chance he will rise to the occasion. You know him though, so you have to ask yourself is that reasonable.

Gate checking a stroller for the infant is probably a good idea. You will be delayed slightly getting off the plane, but having a place to put the infant will help you also keep an eye on the older one.

This is readily doable.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
6. Re: changing flights with 5 year old and infant

Actually Midway is quite compact compared to O'Hare. See the below link for information about the airport.

http://www.airport-midway.com/index.cfm

7. Re: changing flights with 5 year old and infant

Thank you very much for all your responses and tips. I really appreciate it.

Edited: 8:43 am, August 13, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
8. Re: changing flights with 5 year old and infant

Midway is a very easy airport to connect. At most it would be a 5-10 min walk to your next gate. An hour is plenty.

Reply to: changing flights with 5 year old and infant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted