We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missed light due to hold up in security

Swansea, United...
reviews: 4
Missed light due to hold up in security

Does anyone know where we stand in regards to a missed flight after being held up in security, we had checked in online and then when getting to airport we went to check in and got our boarding passes. We were fast tracked through to security, as were business class passengers on the flight, i believe were supposed to go straight through to security without joining a queue but this we were not told about. Anyway cutting a long story short after going through security eventually and then rushing to our boarding gate to get on plane we were met by two stewards on the desk to be told sorry we cant let you on now. The plane still being sat there but we were told to go back the way we came and to be put on stand by, Customer services advised that theya could do nothing until 8am and that we would have to pay for two more seats as we had missed the plane. Is this really all that can be done

52 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 39
1. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

Unfortunately you've got zero standing.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
2. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

You fail to mention your timeline in all this. My guess is that you did not allow enough time to check in, get boarding passes, go through security and then arrive at your gate before boarding closed.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

Probably nothing you can do. All airlines close the doors a few minutes before pulling away. It's your responsibility to get to the gate on time. That includes allowing for security lines.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

Which airline, and at which airport? And, importantly, how far in advance of your flight did you arrive at the airport?

KVE is right, you likely have zero standing as you were a no show. Whether the airline was "reasonable" or not in making you buy a new ticket would depend on the answers to the above questions. Some carriers, at their discretion and in extraneous circumstances, may opt to give a pass and rebook you for nothing. Others - if your reservation is still showing in the system - may change your ticket for a change fee plus difference in fare which may be less than a brand new ticket (though still expensive). But, all that said, unless their T+Cs or the fare basis of your ticket states otherwise, the airline is perfectly within its rights to cancel the entire ticket as a no show.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 22
5. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

How long before your flight did you arrive and collect your boarding passes? Exactly how long were you held up by security?

If there was a problem with the screening process I would expect several people would miss the flight. If you were the only ones then it's more likely that you were just too late arriving at the airport or wasted too much time before getting to the gate.

Sorry this was probably an expensive lesson but hopefully next time you will know to allow sufficient time to get through security and onto your flight.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 180
6. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

This is exactly why I do not book close connections, or arrive late to the airport. I flat hate to rush, and there are so many variables, that I would rather have plenty of extra time, and chill with a glass of wine, or extra coffee at an airport lounge.

In this case, it was you who did not allow enough time, from my reading (will stand corrected if I missed something, or more data is provided), so you are the responsible party - no one to file with, or to sue.

For USA domestic travel, I will always arrive 2 hours early (or more on busy days/times), and not accept connections with less time. For international, I want 4 hours, and especially if I have to pass Immigration/Passport Control and Customs. For arrivals from abroad, I hold to those same allowances.

Some pax love to cut things to the second, but then they often show up here, telling tales of issues. I'd always have more time, rather than less time, and expend effort to see that I have it.

Hunt

London.UK
reviews: 1
7. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

On first reading it sounds very much as though you didn't allow yourself enough time for all the procedures, and so were effectively a 'no show' for your flight.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
8. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

Apologies for the short reply previously, as I was walking whilst typing.

Whilst they are inevitably intertwined, you have had an interaction with two separate entities - security and the airline. And security do not function as part of the airline.

It is one thing to wish for some understanding from the airline, but another to expect concessions from them, for something that is entirely beyond their control.

Whether the delay by the security - in your circumstance - was warranted or not, is a matter better directed at the airport management, as it was not caused as a result of the airline.

So again, I personally don't believe you have any grounds for complaint to the airline.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 180
9. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

<<as I was walking whilst typing.>>

At least you did not fall into the fountain at the mall, only to be caught on security cameras, then to have the footage posted on every video site on Earth... At least we hope that you did not.

Hunt

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
10. Re: Missed light due to hold up in security

Cheers Bill. Although that scenario you described is very much the sort of thing I would get caught doing, I was fortunate this time around. No fountain (didn't go through Martin Place today), no telegraph (utility) pole. But it's a bad practice, and one I should really stop.

I'm quite curious as what transpired during the 'queue', and if any further details are missing, as the story has been cut short. But at this point in the dialogue, it certainly appears it was a case of not leaving enough time.

Reply to: Missed light due to hold up in security
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted