We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

Lee, United Kingdom
reviews: 2
Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

As from October 2014 flights from Manchester to Cairo will be cancelled. I tried to upgrade my flight for December and was told by the travel company (travel up) that it was impossible, after many awarded questions I was told i should call the airline as they could not tell me anything at the time, so I did. Egypt air confirmed that all flights to and from Manchester will no longer be available and I needed to contact my travel company ! ARRRR!!!

Travel up said, Now that I had spoken to Egypt Air, they could offer to give me a full refund, minus £10 admin fee for each booking or transfer my flights to LHR. Fantastic !!!!

So you need to be quick as the London flight is getting full.

HAVE FUN !

26 replies to this topic
London
reviews: 73
1. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

London flight is getting full.

What, all of them?!

Lee, United Kingdom
2. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

Yes, around Christmas

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

Mark,

Under EU Law (EU261/2004) EgyptAir must give you a CHOICE between a full refund and rerouting at no charge to you; they must offer both. And if the reroute departs from another airport the airline must pay for your transport to that other airport.

See Article 5 and Article 8 - eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

If I were you I would go back to EgyptAir and point this out, and request that they rebook you via Heathrow with a connection from Manchester on either BA or Virgin Little Red. If not, ask them what form of transport they will pay for you to get from MAN to LHR.

Unfortunately your using Travelup means they can charge you their own cancellation fee for the refund. In future book directly with the airline and you won't need the middleman.

Good Luck.

Edited: 1:15 pm, August 12, 2014
Lee, United Kingdom
4. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

Thanks for the info, didn't know that.

Yorkshire, United...
reviews: 30
5. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

I'm happy to be corrected Mark but I don't think under UK law they can charge you a cancellation fee as it won't be you cancelling the booking. You have a contract with them to provide a specific service and if they are unable to meet their obligation due to the airline cancelling the flight then you should be entitled to a full refund. Them offering an alternate flight from a city 180 miles away does not negate this fact. I have quickly scanned through their terms and conditions and it seems to confirm this although they state the refund you will get depends on what they get back from Egypt Air. I have no idea if they can do that by law but if you have booked by credit card and they refuse to give you a full refund then I would raise a claim with your credit card provider.

www.travelup.co.uk/TermsAndConditions.aspx

Should your flight be cancelled your rights and remedies will be governed by the airline's conditions of carriage. As a result you may be entitled to: (a) Carriage on another flight with the same airline without additional costs; (b) Re-routing to your destination with another carrier with or without additional costs; (c) Receiving a full refund which we receive back form supplier/airline; or (d) Some other right or remedy. If a schedule change occurs to your itinerary prior to our receipt from you of the full price, or prior to the issue of your tickets (on either the outbound or return flight) we will do our best to notify you on behalf of the carrier. Should a schedule change occur to your itinerary after full balance/ticket issue, on both the outbound or return flights the relevant supplier’s decision will be final and amendment charges may apply.

Lee, United Kingdom
6. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

Thanks all for the advice. I'll let you know what happens.

Lee, United Kingdom
7. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

Just called Egypt air and they have informed me that they are not bound by European Law as there head office is in Egypt and so they will not offer any transportation costs what so ever !!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

Mark,

They're incorrect. EU261 applies to ALL flights departing the European Community on ALL airlines. Non Community carrier flights departing outside the Community aren't covered (so CAI-MAN on EgyptAir wouldn't be). But your flight FROM Manchester is.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
9. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

"Just called Egypt air and they have informed me that they are not bound by European Law as there head office is in Egypt and so they will not offer any transportation costs what so ever !!"

Utter rubbish - the flight was from an EU airport and they are bound by EU Regulation 261/2004 - this applies to all airlines departing from an EU airport regardless of where their head office is located.

Edit- USBT beat me to it.

Edited: 11:45 am, August 13, 2014
Lee, United Kingdom
10. Re: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!

Ok, Just got off the phone with Egypt air and still there telling me that their not bound by European law even if the flight is from a European Country or not. I have emailed the legal department of Star Alliance and explained everything. If I don't hear anything from Star Alliance or Egypt Air, What is my next step ??

Reply to: Egypt Air from Manchester has been stopped !!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
Recent Conversations