We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minor Travelling to U.S?

Ahmedabad, India
Minor Travelling to U.S?

Hi !

I wish to send my 8 year old son to U.S with his grandparents?Is it possible and what is the procedure for getting the visa for him?

7 replies to this topic
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
1. Re: Minor Travelling to U.S?

It is certainly possible to organise the flight, although you will need to pay extra for him to travel as an unaccompanied minor and for as direct a flight as possible.

The visa issue is something you need to deal directly with the local US Embassy/Consulate about. Be wary of dealing with anybody other than the US Embassy. There are companies in all countries that "offer" to obtain the visa for you. Mostly they do what you could do, but charge you for it.

newdelhi.usembassy.gov/applyingmain.html

The airline will not let your son board unless they are certain that he has a valid visa as they would be liable for returning him to INdia if he were refused entry.

Edited: 3:36 am, August 12, 2014
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
2. Re: Minor Travelling to U.S?

Leagle, why would he be considered a UM if he is travelling with his grandparents?

The only issue you would need to look into is whether or not you need any sort of legal 'permission note' for your son to leave the country without either of his parents. That's a matter for you to sort out with your own Immigration Department.

Children travel all over the world with aunts, uncles, grandparents, older siblings, teachers - it's not unusual and not difficult, but, as leagle suggested, make sure you only deal with recognised officials.

Edited: 3:46 am, August 12, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Minor Travelling to U.S?

As well as obtaining the correct visa for your son to enter the US ( newdelhi.usembassy.gov/applyingmain.html )you should also follow the advice on this US CBP page regarding getting a legally signed letter from BOTH parents authorizing other persons (your son's grandparents) to accompany him.

http://1.usa.gov/1uJk9Zo

Edited: 3:57 am, August 12, 2014
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
4. Re: Minor Travelling to U.S?

Sorry. I am clearly and idiot. I read the OP as saying that is son was travelling to VISIT his grandparents, not travelling with them. A good lesson for me about reading posts carefully!

That is a much simpler situation (although I stand by my link to the Embassy website).

I too would suggest that the letter/s of permission signed by both parents be officially verified.

International child abduction is a major issue around the world and countries are getting far stricter about children entering with people not their parents and with only one parent.

Edited: 5:29 am, August 12, 2014
Bristol, England
reviews: 17
5. Re: Minor Travelling to U.S?

It is also a good idea if the letter includes giving permission for the grandparents to authorise medical treatment for your son, should he need it.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
6. Re: Minor Travelling to U.S?

Having had Israeli friends take their grandchildren to the US, they needed as indicated above, letters from BOTH parents authorizing them to take the children. They also had to send THEIR passports to the Embassy along with that of the minor children, showing that they had a visa already ( US apparently doesn't want to issue a visa to minor child alone. --don't know how it works with UM) They also traveled with the medical treatment authorization. Make that as broad as possible,.The US is a sue crazy country and a medical facility will be hesitant to treat a minor unless there is no doubt in their mind that the parents are okay with what the grandparents want.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
7. Re: Minor Travelling to U.S?

India may have laws re this, also. In Brazil, for example,a minor traveling out of the country must have signed permission from both parents (i.e., if traveling with one parent, the other must approve). That's in addition to U.S. visa laws, of course.

Reply to: Minor Travelling to U.S?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted