We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

Donegal Ireland
reviews: 13
sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

Hi

i have read a few reviews that people are spilt up for translantic flights if the airbus is changed from what they originally booked on, we will be travelling as a group of 3, mum, dad & son going out on AA and back on ba, i will be reserving our seats when checking in, but am curious as will there be a chance that we could be spilt and not get sitting together??? Is there anyway that we could be guaranteed that we be all seated together? Thanks in advance.

31 replies to this topic
Colchester, United...
1. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

The only way to guarantee is to pay for your seats, not wait until check in, certainly on BA.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

Paying for your seats does not guarantee seat selections as they can still be changed due to operational reasons i.e a change of plane (if you did pay for seats your fee would then be refunded if this happened). You are less likely to be split up if you pay to select seats on BA but there is no guarantee if the plane then changes.

Depending on the route and time of year you may be better off paying to select seats now rather than waiting for check in anyway as you may not find 3 seats together if it's a particularly busy route.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
3. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

Waiting until BA check in runs a greater risk of being separated as it all depends on the number who paid to book in advance - you should be ok but might find there are not 3 seats together.

You can normally book seats with AA at any time at no cost if you book direct with them - if you booked via BA then you'll need to get your AA PNR from BA.

London, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

There is no real way to guarantee it, but pay to select your seats then check in on line as soon as it opens. Continually check your reservation on mmb so if equipment does change, you spot it immediately and can select new seats together.

London
reviews: 6
5. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

If you pay for a seating request with BA, they will try to reassign you similar seats, should the equipment change. It is not normally a problem, so I would say pay for the seats and then relax. Plane changes are fairly rare. AA do not charge (yet), so you can request your seats free of charge. If you go to the manage my booking page on BA.com, it should automatically redirect you to the AA.com website when you click to request seats for the AA flight.

London, United...
reviews: 3
6. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

We are going to risk it, most often there are loads of seats available when you check in online. I think its a money making scam personally.

London
reviews: 73
7. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

Well, they are in the business of making money!

But scam? No. It's a totally optional charge. It's up to you whether or not you want to pay.

Colchester, United...
8. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

Most definitely is not a scam, that word again, it is a tool that allows people who value sitting with their travelling companions to do so. If you have children then it shows you care about their well being by making sure they have their parents next to them.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
9. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

"We are going to risk it, most often there are loads of seats available when you check in online. I think its a money making scam personally."

Not a scam and BA has this policy partly to meet the needs of their FFs - by all means wait until OLCI but don't come on here afterwards complaining you were allocated seats in different parts of the plane.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
10. Re: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa

Scam = A dishonest scheme; a fraud:

Which part of that applies to paying an advertised fee to prebook your personal choice of preferred seats on an airline?

Reply to: sitting together on ba or aa flights to usa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted