We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Rouge

Royal Oak, Michigan
Air Canada Rouge

Has any one flown this airline division of Air Canada? If so, what' s your opinion either positive of negative about your experience? Thinking of flying from Toronto to Venice on this particular airline.

17 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 84
1. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Try doing a search. This has been discussed many times.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Air Canada Rouge

....many many times!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 63
3. Re: Air Canada Rouge

There have been numerous threads about AC Rouge. I recently flew it on a 2 1/2 hour flight thinking it couldn't be that bad given that it was a short flight. My mistake. I will never fly AC Rouge again despite cost, having to change flights, whatever. I was a very loyal AC customer.

The seats have thin padding with very little leg room. I'm short and with my seat pillow had 2" of legroom between my knees and the seat ahead of me (and the person behind me had their knee in my back on numerous occasions). There were so many people packed in you could barely see any light. It was also hard to move around; I guess with it being a short flight the cart blocked the washroom most of the flight.

There's no on-board entertainment other than an app your can download on your iPad or you can rent an iPad. The return flight was a half hour late but that can happen with any airline.

On the return flight, we had the Preferred Seating (same seats as business class meaning more cushioning and a bit more legroom) but are the last to board (less choice for overhead).

Most of the staff were pleasant and accommodating thought they're young and have replaced the mainline staff.

I'd suggest you also have a look at the reviews on Skytrax:

www.airlinequality.com/Spcl/flt_chk_ent.htm

Unfortunately, there are now limited choices but personally, never again. My husband has traveled a lot for business and always says, "as long as I safely get from A to B I don't care." He now says he won't fly AC Rouge again; we even worry that if we book AC it will be changed to Rouge though that concern may be unwarranted. If you have other options, I'd suggest you do some more research because that's a long flight.

Regards,

L4

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Air Canada Rouge

A search of this forum will give you all these. Read away - http://bit.ly/XbvuGA

ps - at least I have an answer to a question I asked on your other thread.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 63
5. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I wanted to add that the only reason we took this flight was that it was the only direct YVR > SFO return we could find (and using AirMiles). I'd read many of those threads before booking too. :-)

Regards,

L4

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 3
6. Re: Air Canada Rouge

many threads and hundreds of reviews/comments on trip advisor, the overwhelming majoriy are quite negative.

On top of the no comfort no frill aspects of this line, it is in no way a low cost carrier in terms of ticket price.

I go out of my way to ensure I am not flying rogue. If you have alternatives, I would strongly advice you book those.

Canada
reviews: 13
7. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I just returned from a family vacation, in which we took Rouge to Edinburgh, regular AC home (from France). I knew nothing about Rouge when I booked, and didn't realize what it was until we boarded the plane. If I had it to do over again I MIGHT still book this, since I believe my alternative would have been a longer trip, connecting thru Newark or paying more (for 4 tix).

Our Air Canada Rouge flight was over half empty, so each of us was able to take both a Window and Aisle, and although not comfortable I slept for a few hrs. Negatives:

Seats are definitely less comfortable, and TIGHT.

No video displays.

Only one outlet to charge electronics for every 2 seats.

They lost our special meals request.

I think if the flight had been full (as our return was), it would have been quite miserable.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
8. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Our Air Canada Rouge flight was over half empty, so each of us was able to take both a Window and Aisle, and although not comfortable I slept for a few hrs. Negatives:

----------------------

Glad it was half empty. Maybe AC will come to their senses and realize that people are starting to get wise to what Rouge is all about and avoiding it like the plague.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 57
9. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Unfortunately for us as travellers, AC just had a record quarter, and plans to *expand* Rouge and also switch more of their mainline 777s to sardine configuration.

…financialpost.com/2014/…

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 181
10. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Will be interesting to see how AC's Rouge exercise turns out. Seems that most around here are not happy fliers, but who knows about non-TA folk?

I recall UA's experiment with TED... of course now with United Express and the little CRJ's, I sort of pine for old TED's return. I mean who knew at the time?

Good luck to all AC patrons,

Hunt

Reply to: Air Canada Rouge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted