We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

New York
Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

Flight is from JFK NYC to Bucharest OTP (Layover in SVO, Russia).

First leg is Aeroflot, second is Aeroflot--operated by Tarom.

Has anyone flown this route before? And has anyone flown with their pet?

I have a small dog who will be in cabin with me (hopefully).

Questions:

How much is the cost on each flight usually?

Do these airlines easily accept the small dogs in a soft carrier?

Do these airlines measure each bag?

Any special paper work a US citizen needs for their layover (5 hours max) in SVO with their dog?

I saw that the airlines want an EU pet passport, but I am a US citizen. Does this mean I don't need one?

I know I need microchip, rabies vaccine, and health certificate USDA endorsed. Am I missing anything? Translations?

My goal is to get my dog on safely to these flights and without fuss. I want all paper work ready and I want the right kind of carrier. I do not want my dog to be shipped back to the USA or put to sleep or quarantined.

If you have any information or have experience flying internationally with your pet please let me know what you needed.

If you have flown this route please let me know, or even if you fly with these airlines with a pet.

Thank you

20 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

Did you not look at the website?

aeroflot.ru/cms/…animals

New York
2. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

I did. But I read reviews on pet travel and it's all up in the air. Along with transfers etc in SVO.

I called the airline and they say the are separate operators so I must abide by the different rules on each flight. Both airlines allow dogs, but I am worried about SVO because it seems to ask for so much paper work but how would one get that paper work if you are not in Russia?--as it asks for a certificate from one of their dog breeding groups in russia? I feel that may only apply to people who are Russian citizens.

Or here: I've seen the link you sent me of course. I've been looking at it for weeks. But I am confused by the third step:

"A certificate from one of the two licensed Moscow breeding clubs,SKOR or RKF, stating that the animal presents no breeding value. Certificates obtained from any other club may result in delays at customs." How do I get this? Do US citizens even need it?

I asked my vet and they said all a US citizen needs is microchip, rabies vaccine, and health certificate to go abroad. This is why I am confused by the airline's specific rules.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

Well, sorry OP I have to say that I have no idea...

Hopefully you'll get a US compatriot along soon who has flown on Aeroflot to Russia with a dog to give you the advice you need.

Good luck.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
4. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

I would not listen to the advice of a USA vet who has never traveled on the airlines you are using. I'd make very sure you have the correct paperwork! I'd go to the embassy and ask there as the rules for bringing dogs into a country are usually made by that particular country and not by the airline! I would not expect many folks to have experience bringing their dogs with them on a flight through Russia to Bucharest.

Edited: 7:01 pm, August 09, 2014
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
5. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

I think you need to follow the advice of Riff M. The embassy is the only place that you can get definitive answers on what is needed. Everything else--including what someone may write here--is hearsay.

YOu also asked if the airlines measure each bag. The bag has to fit under the seat in front of you--I would imagine they DO measure and weigh and would not plan ( if that is what you are doing) on taking something bigger or heavier.

Bristol, England
reviews: 17
6. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

Riff M and rdglady are right. You can comply with whatever rules the airline chooses to impose, but it will all be for nothing if the authorities don't allow the dog into a country when you get there.

Madrid
reviews: 7
7. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

Your dog will be allowed in the cabin only if it weighs less than 5kg and not on an Airbus a318 aircraft.

The European pet passport is an alternative to quarenteen regulations ,and requires more than a rabies inoculation.I suspect without the document,you will be required to comply with the regulations

When my dog travels his microchip is checked by the relevant Airline/train/ferry staff then compared to the entries in his pet passport.

As stated above I recommend you check with the relevant embassies for the current requirements.You may also get some good information from your local association for blind people,as many travel with their dogs.

Also check out getting your dog inoculated against Lymes disease,which is also killing dogs in Europe.

8. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:30 am, August 12, 2014

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
9. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

Your ad has been reported for removal ( the poster has checks for the product she is touting made payable to her).

10. Re: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:30 am, August 12, 2014

Reply to: Internation Travel with Pet on AEROFLOT/Tarom
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted