We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

Shrewsbury, United...
Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

Hello

thank you for entering in my post

I am new in this forum, I am in a process of making a claim against Manchester airport.

I had booked on-line a parking-space at jet-parks-3, this was my first time using this service in Manchester airport

I got the airport and I entred the long-stay T3 car-park since, for some reason I though the T3 long stay car park was the same car park as the Jetpark 3 car park as that was the only sign I could see.

As soon as I parked my car I did talk to one of the interlock button at the entrance, and I was told i was on the wrong car-park.

I don't know how they did allow me to enter that T3 car-park if that was not my car-park.

Anyway I did exit that car park and following my sat-nav I was trying to get jet-park-3, but because of no sign on the road I thought to make a U-turn and went back to the nearest interlock button for help.

This time I was able to get jet-park-3 but it was copletely full, cars were parked on the grass overstepping a curb.

At the end i got my check-in desk about 7min late and I missed my flight. I had to plan again all my outward jurney and did cost me almost £300 extra.

I did send an email as complainnt:

They said they provide video to get the car-park but why they didn't put that link on my email of car-park booking confirmation?

I did complain the fact that there was works on the road which deviated the way to get the car-park. They did send me a link that warns people about works on the road. Once again why they didn't put this link on my email of car park booking confirmation?

They said If the car park was at full capacity the car park barriers would not allow me to enter the car park.

I told they that, this is the worst thing that a passenger can experience, that is being unable to enter the car park on the day of his flight, in my opinion they should block the online bookings instead, when the car-park is full already.

They said that their car-parks operate by using a counter system to monitor vehicles, and the amount of available spaces are then calculated. As I was able to enter the car park, this means spaces would have been available, then they added I do appreciate they may have been harder to find.

I told them that most of the area of jet-parks 3 is cobbled with gravel on the floor, and most of the parking spaces can't be marked with white marks because of these stones, so how can they monitor the car-park using a counter system.

The only way to supervise that car-park, in my opinion, is puiting a physical person.

They said that: Finding a parking space may be hard, so why they didn't put this very important note on the email of booking confirmation?

They said that they do highly advise that every passenger should arrive at their airport a minimum of 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure of their flight.

I told them that the only link I had on my email of car-park booking confirmation was: Terms and conditions > general > on the point 18 states > We advise you allow at least 45 minutes from car park arrival to check-in. How can they lie in this way?

….........................................

After a consultation with Citizen Advice Consumer Right, they suggested to send a letter to them which I did and I am wating for their reply

Have you never been in this situation? How likely I am to get my money back?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

33 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
1. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

I would say you have zero chance of any refund.

The part about allowing 45 minutes from car park to check in is the amount of time you need to allow yourself to park your car and get on the shuttle bus to reach the terminal. It doesn't mean you only need to give yourself 45 minutes between the car park and your plane departure time.

Yes the area around the airport is a mess at the moment but you said they even advised you of the roadworks therefore you should have given yourself even more time to get there.

I'm afraid I can't see how they are accountable for you missing your flight

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 202
2. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

Hi.

In not sure how far this will go. If the car park T&Cs says to allow 45 minutes from carpark to check in, that suggests you need to allow a lot of extra time. It's unfortunate if the car park was indeed overflowing - where DID you park in the end?

It's sounds like a frustrating situation for you, but perhaps you didn't leave enough time?

Abs :)

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

Very unlikely. I'm sorry, it sounds like you totally failed to prepare, you left not enough time and you had no clue where you were going.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
4. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

Zero chance. You failed to arrive in enough time.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. This stuff happens all the time alongside traffic delays and other unforeseen stuff. You really need to leave enough time for situations like this.

Leave lots more time next flight.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
6. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

Sorry you have no claim against anybody - it was your responsibility to get to the airport in time to complete check in including making sure you had enough time to park allowing for traffic delays, road works or getting lost.

Put it down to experience.

Shrewsbury, United...
7. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

They said they adviced me on the roadworks but I can't read anything about it on my email of car-park booking confirmation. my biggest mistake was I did not do any search about jet-park-3 before my leaving since there are so many bad feedbacks on-line about jet-park-3

Edited: 4:13 pm, August 09, 2014
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
8. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

<<I don't know how they did allow me to enter that T3 car-park if that was not my car-park.>>

Anyone can drive on to the long stay car parks. They don't need to be prebooked. You just turn up.

<<We advise you allow at least 45 minutes from car park arrival to check-in. How can they lie in this way?>>

They weren't lying. 45 mins from arriving at the car park to getting to check in.

<<They said that they do highly advise that every passenger should arrive at their airport a minimum of 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure of their flight.>>

Which is common sense, and what most airlines say.

You did no research as regards to where the actual car park was, how bad the roadworks were, how long it would take you, and you certainly didn't allow enough time to get to check in on time. I would say it was your own fault.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

I think the op got confused and did not realise he / she needed 45 mins before check in and two hours from check in to departure, meaning he/ she was advised to turn up to park basically three hours before departure time.

On top of this not knowing where the car park was, and not understanding you can just drive into any of the public car parks compounded the problem. However if he/ she tried to park 45 mins before departure, he / she was never going to make the flight, they had already missed it.

Based on info given, I don't think comp is due. The responsibility for the failure to check in on time appears to be with the op.

Shrewsbury, United...
10. Re: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!

I could I know it could be so bad it was my first time using this service, why they don't warn people saying that it is hard to find a parking-space so allow extra time, on my email of car-park-booking confirmation.

And not after someone made a claim because it was not happy with the service.

Reply to: Claim against Manchester airport heeelp!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted