We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
33 reviews
Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

Dear advisors,

Just checked Flightradar and saw few Qatar Airways planes flying over Iraq. QTR7 (DOH-LHR) in particular is flying across from South to North.

Is it just me or this is odd considering the last news from the States?!

I 've been on hundred flights, but have four flights with Qatar and two with Malaysian (which I am not scared of flying with, but worried about their financial situation and possible restructuring) in September and as much as I am well informed and confident in the airlines safety these days for first time I am slightly worried instead of been pleasantly excited before a trip.

If the air strikes go ahead, do you think Qatar would consider avoiding Iraq's airspace (there was an information in the news space that there were strikes already).

Travel safe!

Chris

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,600 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

If the air strikes go ahead, do you think Qatar would consider avoiding Iraq's airspace (there was an information in the news space that there were strikes already).

====

Well what do you think? I think the the US DOD and the FAA would warn airlines to avoid any potential conflict zone, and that airlines would take notice.

Especially as at least two US airlines flights pass over Iraq en route to India. Both of which I fly quite regularly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately my life experience shows me that what we might think is logical, not always matches the reality.

I still remember something I am sure many people here are not aware of. Some 15 years ago there were air strikes over Serbia. Two missiles "by accident" flew over the border and hit houses in the Bulgarian capital - Sofia. Both locations were few kilometres from the airport and as far as I can remember no flights were canceled, diverted or the airport was closed. There was little to no coverage in the international medias... So thinks do happen.

I am sure they will take actions of needed, but I am also sure that most of us won't feel relaxed anymore on a flight while flying over or near military zones.

London, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

Yes good question Mikelandgelo, I agree you do wonder however after MH17 I think nothing is being taken lightly but I totally understand your worry

Bratislava Region...
1 post
4. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

I have same concerns. I fly with Qatar on regular basis, but this time, I really hessitate. I already wrote them an email, asked wether they finally plan to change routes.

England
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
5. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

Check flightradar now, they have re-routed over Iran, just get in and out of Iraq to cross the eastern border and then continue over southern Iran to Doha...

Hellerup...
1 post
6. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

I have just spoken with Qatar Airways since I am traveling from Europe to Asia.

And they do NOT fly over Iraq or other troubled areas if it's risky.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

Tank you all for your replies. I've been checking Flightradar and glad that they don't do it :) Looking forward to my trip now!

Travel safe!

4 posts
8. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

On the Flight Radar at the moment, (24.08.2014) it shows that Qatar Airways is still flying over Iraq and Syria from London to Doha. Flight is QR10.

I tried to call Melbourne office, and I asked them about the routes, and do the still fly over Iraq.

The young incompentent lady told me that they are not discussing the routes with customers because of the safety reasons.

So, she didn't want to tell me is my route to Europe is going through Iraq airspace or not.

On Qatar Airway web site, when you check the routes, everything is the same old, they are flying over Iraq..

I would appriciate at least one sentence on they site about flying over Iraq, or that maybe they are re-routing certain flights over Iran or Saudi Arabia.

I found great plane ticket to Europe with Qatar ( fast and cheap), but because I wouldn't feel safe flying over Iraq and Syria, and no info from QA is available, I'll probably go with Emirates.

The flight with Emirates is 500 $ more expencive and 14 hours longer (both ways), but I'm more then happy to go with them since they re-routed all their flights to Europe over Iran.

9. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:36 am, August 25, 2014
10. Re: Qatar Airways flying over Iraq

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:36 pm, August 24, 2014