We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight delays and documentation?

Level Contributor
4 posts
122 reviews
Flight delays and documentation?

Dear sir /madam.

My complaint goes way back to 2009 on a return flight from Cayo coco Cuba. We departed the uk from Manchester on nov 1st 2009 and were due to return on 15th nov 2009, however we were delayed by a day on our return due to tech difficulties and various other reasons one of which we were informed by air crew was that the pilot was not in a position to pilot the plane for our return to the uk. I do not wish to say why here but Thomas cook know the reason) Well I know all this took place in nov 2009 ,and it might seem a long time ago now, however I did complete a customer Relations form (Of which I have a photo on my computer, and incidentally I submitted to Thomas Cook as evidence of my claim for compensation. They replied and asked me to provide.

Now i ask you is it reasonable to expect me to have kept these documents from 2009? They will surely have details of the flight manifesto and passenger details.

The letter which I have recently received from a Danielle Walker Customer Relations Thomas Cook one passage went as follows:

Once I have received the required documents confirming that you travelled on the flight. I will be able to process your claim. I look forward to hearing from you.

Incidentally I booked the holiday on line so I did not use a high street shop.

So please tell me what I need to do to resolve this situation. I want to keep away from courts and these firms that chase it up for you as i would prefer to sort this out myself. Please Thomas cook assist me with this claim. They will have all the information on record that I lack!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
14,448 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

Assuming you are claiming compensation under EU261 then some airlines are known to make life difficult in the hope you go away - a Small Claims Court claim is straightforward and the onus is on Thomas Cook to prove you're not entitled and is the way to proceed in my opinion.

Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
29,547 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

I am not sure who you think you are writing to. This is the Trip Advisor Air travel forum. No one here has any authority to do anything to help you. We are basically volunteers, the huge huge majority not connected to the airline industry in any way, manner or form.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21,748 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

Raise a small courts claim, it's on line, costs about 80 pounds or so and then the onus is on the airline.

South of England
Level Contributor
319 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

Or, possibly move on with your life as this was nearly five years ago.

Level Contributor
4 posts
122 reviews
5. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

Thank you.

All i really want is to ask people if they have been in the same boat as myself and if so what did they do and who did they contact?

Thank you all very much any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Level Contributor
2,465 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

Alphonsus, if you type in EU261 into the search function on this forum you will find lots of information regarding compensation claims. As other's have said file a claim through a small claims court on line. Others have used no win no fee type of companies, all really depends on how much time and effort you want to expend. Personally, I wouldn't bother life's too short, I would rather spend my time planning my next adventure :) Good luck though.

Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
7. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

Have you got an email which confirms that you booked the holiday online?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
26,184 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

Have you got 5 year old emails? I certainly haven't.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

I stll have every booking confirmation I've received since I started flying 10 years ago. Can make for a fun afternoon trawling through them :)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
194 reviews
10. Re: Flight delays and documentation?

I'm another who keeps all boarding cards and documentation. I'd certainly have kept hold of any documentation from a flight too if there had been any delay and I was thinking of claiming from it.