We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time

Mississauga, Canada
Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time

Hi,

Can someone help me with the time/hours required to check in at Rome's Fiumicino airport?

I have a 06:40 flight with Lufthansa to Frankfurt. Someone told me that the security check procedures at the Fiumicino airport are very tight and progress is very slow.

If you have experienced the similar situation please helpme.

Tim

7 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time

Yes security can be pretty slow at FCO although I have also sailed through at times so I always get there 3 hours before to be absolutely sure. Not missed a flight yet.

Edited: 2:34 am, August 07, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
2. Re: Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time

Two hours before departure is probably enough for a flight within the European Schengen area. You have to check in and go through Security, but there are no Passport formalities.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
3. Re: Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time

Tim,

Much has likely changed, since we last flew out of FCO, but we also found the process quite slow. Now, we have only flown out mid-day, so there could well be differences in an early AM departure - for the better, or maybe for the worst.

For international, I usually shoot for 4 hrs., and if things go smoothly, I just head to a Lounge. Others have had great fortune with less time, but I just hate to rush.

Most of all, fly safely,

Hunt

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
4. Re: Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time

SydneyNick,

<<Two hours before departure is probably enough for a flight within the European Schengen area.>>

That is probably sage advice. I had not considered Schengen, as our "international" is always to/from the USA. Great point.

Hunt

Mississauga, Canada
5. Re: Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time

MrMarcoos, sydneynick, Bill_Hunt_Az,

Many thanks to all of you for your valuable advise and insights. I am now much calm-down and know what should be the good time allowance for our early departure/check-in. This is our first time visiting Italy.

Regards,

Tim

Houston, Texas
reviews: 302
6. Re: Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time

Got in and out rather quickly.

7. Re: Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, April 09, 2015

Reply to: Rome Fiumicino Airport Check-In Time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted