We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

Blue Mountains,NSW
reviews: 3
Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

My teenage boys are flying standby to Uk with British Airways on 10/8/14. There step brother works for the airlines in the Uk & can get discount fares. He cant get me a discount as I am not directly family. Can I go to the airport & get a standby flight too, so that I know we can all be on the same flight /

17 replies to this topic
Illinois
reviews: 16
1. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

I wouldn't think there would even be a guarantee that they would both be on the same flight flying standby. What if there's only one seat?

Brisbane, Australia
2. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

Have they flown standby/staff travel before? I used to get staff travel but no more.

The problem with going to the UK from Australia is that there are no non stop flights. They will then be on standby for the second leg of the flight which even I found stressful.

You will not be able to buy a standby ticket for yourself at the airport. It will be a very expensive last minute purchase.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

Standby doesn't exist for revenue passengers on BA. You'll be buying a walk up fare on the day if there are seats.

Blue Mountains,NSW
reviews: 3
4. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

Thanks so much for your reply, appreciated. So if I get the boys on the flight and there is a seat left for me, I would still be changed the full fare. ..There would be no discount ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
5. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

You would be buying a last-minute full-price ticket.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
6. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

Correct it would be a full fare ticket which is rather expensive.

Los Angeles
reviews: 71
7. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

They board standbys at the last minute at the gate. By that time it would too late for you to by ticket. You would need to buy a ticket at the counter outside of security long before you knew if you sons would get on the plane.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
8. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

Why would you get a discount?

As a guide your walk up, fully flexible economy class fare between Sydney and London is about $4800 AUD return.

Edited: 12:19 am, August 07, 2014
London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

The thing about stand by is they are not guaranteed a seat. I'm assuming the step brother can see how many seats are left and knows they have a fairly good chance of getting a seat on that flight and it's not full. However if the airline sells all the seats then they won't be able to fly on that flight.

You personally will have to buy a full fare ticket, and as it's a late purchase, it will be expensive. You will have a seat on the flight but for example if there was only two seats left and you bought a ticket, then one of your boys would not be able to get on that flight, because you just bought his seat.

So, no, sorry, no discount, it's the opposite, it's more expensive, and no guarantee your children will be on the flight either if they are on standby,

Edinburgh, United...
10. Re: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??

Standby can be very stressful. They may not get out on the 10th,,,or 11th or 12th!....when they get on a flight they are unlikely to get seats together and may get as far as Singapore and then may be there for a few days whilst waiting on another flight with availability. If there was only one seat available would one travel without the other

As has been said standby's are usually loaded when the checkin closes so at that point in time it would be too late your you to buy a ticket/checkin. You could checkin and then, once you find out if the boys are on, decide whether you are going to travel or not. If not this would involve getting any checked baggage off the flight and may cause delay to the flight

By the time you factor in potential hotels whilst waiting and a full fare flexible ticket for you, you could probably buy confirmed tickets for the 3 of you

Reply to: Flight to UK Sunday 10th Aug ? Standby ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted