We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does EU261 apply for indirect flight- Bali to UK (via KL) ?

London, United...
Does EU261 apply for indirect flight- Bali to UK (via KL) ?

Hi Just looking for some advice really.

we're booked to for a return flight from Bali to London via KL set to depart from Bali on 26 August at 04:35 - change in KL with a wait of 2 hours, then fly back to London arriving at 16:20 the same day.

we've just had a call from Expedia to say that our flight from Bali to KL has been cancelled and they are putting us on the next flight which is 8am. but this means we miss our connection in KL and have to wait until the next available flight which is at 23.30 that night arriving into London at 6am the following day.

They've offered to put us up in a hotel in KL - but since this is during the day time its not really of any benefit / use to us. But they have said it is their only offer of compensation.

i've seen some stuff about EU261 only applying for flights into the EU but not sure if this applies as the flight that has been cancelled is between Bali & KL.

Does any one have any advice on if we are legally entitled to anything else or tips or tricks to get them to give us something better?

thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Cheers

Rick

4 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 88
1. Re: Does EU261 apply for indirect flight- Bali to UK (via KL) ?

I believe the time limit for cancellations is 14 days and so you are outside that so a hotel is the best you'll get. That or a full refund.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
2. Re: Does EU261 apply for indirect flight- Bali to UK (via KL) ?

Flights have to be cancelled within 14 days of departure, and the airline has to be a community carrier to be eligible for EU261 compensation.

London, United...
3. Re: Does EU261 apply for indirect flight- Bali to UK (via KL) ?

Thanks for your replies. I thought it was unlikely we'd get anything else but thought best to check.

thanks again appreciate your help!

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Does EU261 apply for indirect flight- Bali to UK (via KL) ?

If it's the flight from Bali to KL that has been cancelled then EU261/2004 doesn't apply. Also, I assume your KL-London flight is on Malaysian ? They're not an EC carrier so again it doesn't apply.

If you choose to take their offer of a hotel do note that KL airport is a significant distance from the city. However this may work out well if you fancy a day's sightseeing followed by a rest and a shower before a long flight home.

Can they not put you on an earlier flight so you make your original connection ?

Reply to: Does EU261 apply for indirect flight- Bali to UK (via KL) ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted