We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

United Airline lost my baggage. (1 out of 4) Here is what I did, 1. talked to an agent at the airport, I believe he filed claim. He gave me a receipt with claim #. He said I should receive it by same night.

Nothing shows, it's been 3 days. I called their baggage service center a couple of times, they always tell me the same thing. "I should receive it next day or so. They are in the process of searching, would let me know if any updates."

Googled a bit, filled out "Delayed baggage contact information" on their website. I also downloaded the claim form, it says I need to include all the receipts which I don't have. some belongings are old, some are new but no receipt.

So my question to reddit, what can I do to speed up the process or how do I get reimbursement without the receipt? Anybody with similar experience?

Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

Your bag is not officially lost until 21 days have passed I believe. Until then they are simply mislaid. Many bags are returned within this timeframe.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 165
2. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

We have only encountered similar a couple of times (all on UA, as that is our main airline). In all but one case, the luggage was delayed, and when we called with our Claim #, were told where it was, and approximately when it would be delivered. In all of those cases, they were pretty close in their estimates.

In one case, however, my wife's suitcase went missing. UA could not locate it in their system. I called daily, only to be told "has not shown up anywhere yet."

One morning, about 10 days after the flight, I got a call in the US from a UA Ticket Agent at LHR. She recounted seeing a suitcase going around the carousel every time she walked past it. Same suitcase - round and round. That morning, her curiosity was piqued, and she removed the suitcase, checked the outer pockets, and saw my wife' itinerary with all contact info. She called the home number to inform me. She took the Claim # info, did the proper paperwork, and dispatched the case for the US. Well, it got mis-placed again, but finally showed up, about 16 days late, with no damage, and nothing missing. Only complaint that I had was that my wife did not get any bonus MP miles for how long the bag rode the carousel... [Grin]

Though it did take a bit, involved some luck and curiosity, all ended well.

Good luck, and do not give up hope.

Hunt

BTW - did you have all contact info inside the case? That is always a great idea, and helped in our instance.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 171
3. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

you can go to their baggage tracking site, and check. (Check it often.)

united.com/web/…tracing.aspx

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
4. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

As you'd know if you follow posts here, it often is not the airline but airport baggage handlers (not employees of the airlines) who are responsible for lost or damaged luggage. Ask UA about claiming for replacing essentials now (no, not everything in the bag). I've flown for decades and never had a bag go missing for longer than a day. Knock on wood.

Phoenix, AZ
5. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

Sutter,

In the one case of UA delaying our luggage, when we were headed to a destination, rather than back home, UA was very quick to give us an allowance for necessary items, which we did need.

Luckily, my wife had chosen to travel in nice clothes, as we had arrived late on a Sunday evening, and she had a major presentation early on Monday AM. She also always packs a few items into carry-on, so other than a late night visit to Walgreens (in our case) for hair brushes, razors, etc., all was OK. When we got back to the hotel on Monday afternoon, the bag was waiting for us, none the worse for the ware. In this case, the crew at SFO had forgotten to load one baggage container onto our 772, so all "Priority" bags did not make that flight - but at least the next. The higher tier MP members were without their luggage, while others had their's...

Hunt

6. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

I just called UA again. The rep was very nice and helpful this time.

We went through reported baggage in Chicago(that's where I checked in my bags.)

and none of them matched my belongings. I was told to file a claim and include receipt for

items over $100. Now I don't have receipt for everything.

What do I do?

7. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:13 pm, August 06, 2014

Dallas
reviews: 18
8. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

So, give them a receipt for anything over $100 and everything else was probably $99.

What else could you do?

9. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

Not everybody keeps their receipt forever.

Phoenix, AZ
10. Re: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now

<<Not everybody keeps their receipt forever.>>

That is true.

In the case of my wife's "wandering" suitcase, she was a bit worried, as though it was smallish, and the trip was to be very short (not many clothes), two business suits were quite expensive. She had already decided that if the credit card statement was inadequate, she would have her trusted sales person just create a "receipt" for those, plus one pair of Ferragamo shoes in the case. Luckily, that was unnecessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

Reply to: United Airline lost my baggage(international flight)what now
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted