We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

Venus, Pennsylvania
Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

My daughter and I were planning a trip to Israel the first two weeks of September. My daughter paid for the tickets and, only after about 2 weeks, also purchased insurance on those tickets. We have decided not to proceed due to the unrest in the area and the insurance company refuses to refund the ticket costs saying the insurance was purchased after the start of the Israel Gaza war began..

23 replies to this topic
atlanta
reviews: 36
1. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

True. Most insurance won't cover events that have started prior to your purchase. Without knowing the timeline, it is hard to provide you any other guidance

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
2. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

If you waited 2 weeks to buy the insurance, that was probably too long. In my experience buying travel insurance, usually you have to purchase the insurance within just a few days of when you buy your airline tickets or make a first payment towards the trip.

Rapid City, SD
reviews: 24
3. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

If you purchased the tickets and insurance after the start of this conflict maybe the insurance company is considering this a preexcisting condition that you were aware of at the time if purchase. Kind of like if you had an illness before you bought the tickets/insurance but now you want to claim against the insurance for it.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
4. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

It's just impossible to comment as we don't know what insurance policy you purchased. Many policies don't cover civil unrest, etc. And, you can't call your insurance agent to get a fire insurance policy on your house as it burns down.

As to other poster's comments; many travel insurers will allow you to purchase policies right up to the time you leave on your trip. You just won't be able to get "pre-existing condition" coverage, or "cancel for any reason" coverage. And of course, you can't purchase a policy after you are sick. Any policy I've ever purchased requires you to be able to travel on the date the policy was purchased.

Edited: 10:22 pm, August 05, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
5. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

Which airline are you dealing with? UA has already begun making some allowances for the Middle-East unrest: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx?v_ctrk=HHLN$0-772-6774-1-4884 scroll down on that page. I have no idea what any other airlines might be offering.

Good luck,

Hunt

Edited: 10:36 pm, August 05, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
6. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

Looks like you might need to Copy & Paste, as I cannot seem to get an active link.

Sorry,

Hunt

uk
reviews: 230
7. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

I would not refund you, because there are no "don't travel" advisories to Israel other than advice not to travel to / near Gaza - read my thread on tel aviv forum which I visited a few weeks ago and you will see that it's pretty much life as normal. It's your choice to not go, but your airline is correct and so us your insurer - are you sure you want to cancel? Research what it's really like on the ground, you're not going to see flak jackets, guns, reporters in helmets in eg tel aviv, only in media reports.

London, United...
reviews: 23
8. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

I think I understand what your airline and insurer are saying. Basically there is no advisory preventing you from travelling to Israel, it's simply your personal decision not to go, as such, this should be at your own cost, not the airlines. Your insurer is saying you already knew this situation when you purchased, as such, it was pre existing, and they are not liable either.

Both are probably correct. Were you going near the Gaza Strip, or do you just not want to go jn general now?

Venus, Pennsylvania
9. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

We purchased the tickets well before the rockets were hitting Israel to this extent. We are going to TeleViv

London, United...
reviews: 23
10. Re: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel

Ok, I can understand why you don't want to go and that is very close. There is a travel warning from the us. Have you tried the airline? Who are you flying with?

Reply to: Insurance will not refund air tickets to Israel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted