We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

Worcester...
Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

Hi folks, I recently used Travelocity to book a flight in December from Boston to Hamburg. First leg of the flight is BOS to LHR via Virgin Atlantic, 2nd leg of the trip is LHR to HAM via British Airways. I've been trying to find out if our luggage with check thru to Hamburg when we board in Boston. Virgin Atlantic said that since we booked the flights at the same time, the luggage would check thru. When I checked with British Airways (outsourced email) I was told our luggage "As your journey is not wholly with British Airways or oneworld alliance airlines, you may not be able to through-check your baggage to your final destination.". Anybody have any firsthand recent experience making a flight using Virgin Atlantic and BA? Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
Loughborough...
reviews: 19
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

Very much depends how Travelocity have ticketed your flight. If it is on a through ticket BOS to HAM then you're very probably OK but should check with the BA transfer desk at LHR to make sure they have associated your bag with their segment of the ticket.

If it is on two separate tickets but the same itinerary, you'll almost certainly need to re-check the bag at LHR.

These are two airlines that co-operate to the bare minimum possible.

UK
reviews: 88
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

BA and Virgin will interlink luggage when hell freezes over.

Loughborough...
reviews: 19
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

Well they had to for a while after BA took over BMI, and there were loads of UK domestic to VS connections and vice versa that were already booked using ex-BMI flights. This has probably used up a whole decade's worth of interlining baggage.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

BA do have an interline e-ticket agreement with VS, but I suspect it's about as popular as pitchers of lemon barley water at the nearest Champagne bar.

*If* Travelocity have booked your flight as a through ticket then your bag will be checked through. If Travelocity have cobbled together two separate tickets that's another matter. What is the arrival time of your flight from BOS to LHR and the departure time of the flight to Hamburg?

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 180
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

Joe,

<<BA and Virgin will interlink luggage when hell freezes over.>>

That is about what I thought - no alliance, no Inter-line agreement, and no CodeShare between the two.

I would have been surprised to see that they had teamed up, in any way.

If there are no agreements between the two airlines, I cannot imagine how baggage could/would be transferred.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

Phoenix, AZ
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

TravelerPlus,

<<BA do have an interline e-ticket agreement with VS, but I suspect it's about as popular as pitchers of lemon barley water at the nearest Champagne bar.>>

This was news to me. From what I have understood, those two airlines were like oil & water...

Hope the best for the OP then,

Hunt

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

Interline agreements and alliances are separate items. Even though one airline is in a different alliance, that does not mean they don't have Interline agreements. Most of the major airlines have some type of agreement with the other major airlines. If the OP is booked on ONE through ticket to Hamburg, I would expect the baggage to be checked through to the final destination. As with any connecting flight however, be sure to check that it is checked all the way through when you first drop off your bags.

Phoenix, AZ
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

Yes, CodeShare, Alliance and Inter-Line Agreements ARE separate entities, but if none exists, then there are issues. It depends on what agreements are in place, as others have stated.

Hunt

Madrid
reviews: 7
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

BA and Virgin have an Interline agreement.Ba will accept the bags if this is on 1 ticket.If Travelocity has tried to put 2 tickets together,you will be out of luck.

Next time try buying direct from whichever airline you prefer.You will save all the hassle if these kind of arrangements.

UK
reviews: 88
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?

Well I stand corrected (and amazed). But I wouldn't be surprised if at the point of transfer each airline had someone checking and threw the bag of the opposite airline into the trash :-)

Reply to: Virgin Atlantic>British Airways will luggage check thru?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted