We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with leg splint??

Perth, Australia
reviews: 3
Flying with leg splint??

I am due to fly from Perth to Bali next week on Air Asia. I fractured my knee cap a couple of weeks ago so I'm currently in a leg splint (the hinge is currently set at 0 degrees). I see my orthopaedic surgeon on Wed (has ok'd travel) who may allow me some range of movement, but I doubt it'll be much which obviously means sitting in a normal seat will be difficult (? impossible). I have been in contact with Air Asia and they are being less than helpful in offering solutions, if there even is one. Where do I stand with this? The only thing they suggested was row 1 as it has extra leg room which is already booked out (the front 6 rows are 'premium' seats and the remainder of the plane economy). I'm not sure if the rest of the aircraft is booked out - my friend who booked the seats has been unable to log on and I was disconnected before an Air Asia rep could answer. I have called, done the 'live chat' on their website and also sent a message (now more than 24 hours ago) with no response. I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has been in this position before, thanks.

13 replies to this topic
Rapid City, SD
reviews: 23
1. Re: Flying with leg splint??

Do you have trip insurance? You may need to postpone your trip even though the Dr has ok'd you to travel. The airline has agreed to provide transport from Perth to Bali in economy. It is not their fault you are unable to bend your knee. If there are no bulkhead seats available maybe in for an uncomfortable trip. Try to get an isle seat so you can get up often which may help. Sorry.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Flying with leg splint??

As far as my thinking goes you have three choices, travel with a removeable cast, pay the cost of upgraded tickets or cancel and claim back the costs on your travel insurance

London
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 73
3. Re: Flying with leg splint??

I'd have though even extra legroom seats would require quite a bit of flex. Only (door exit) rows would have enough legroom to extend your leg enough but you would not be allowed to sit in them, even if available. Can you change/postpone your flight or cancel and claim on travel insurance?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
4. Re: Flying with leg splint??

Hopefully you have already informed your insurance company about the fracture, or they may decline to refund you if you haven't.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Flying with leg splint??

Hi

I have had both types of leg splint, rigid and bendy, with bendy I was fine but with the rigid one it was three seats or cancel so I cancelled.

Jackie

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 86
6. Re: Flying with leg splint??

I honestly don't know how you can travel like this. If your knee is completely straight, I don't know any seat that would work. Seems as if travel would be tremendously uncomfortable.

Hopefully, you have travel insurance so you can cancel and get your money back to rebook when you've recovered.

Edited: 1:00 pm, August 04, 2014
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
7. Re: Flying with leg splint??

Specifically ask your ortho if you can remove the splint while you are seated. I wore one of these splints for six weeks after knee surgery, but was allowed to take it off while seated or lying down.

Otherwise you are in a difficult situation & should follow above recommendations to either upgrade (think you need first or business at least) or cancel.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Flying with leg splint??

Hi Gracie

You sit upright with your leg extended sideways along three seats. It is very uncomfortable, had to travel like it once years ago and just remember I decided I would never do it again. So when I got hit by a car and broke my knee about six years back I opted to stay home alone and let the family holiday without me.

Jackie

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 86
9. Re: Flying with leg splint??

I understand that Jackie34, but then OP will have to pay for two additional seats ,if they are available, and it doesn't seem a very comfortable way to enjoy a vacation!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 36
10. Re: Flying with leg splint??

The logistics of flying long haul with a knee brace (I've done with a passive motion) is hard enough. Have you thought about the logistics of going to the toilet/shower etc? And what you'll be doing in Bali? Personally, I'd can it.

Reply to: Flying with leg splint??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted