We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handbag Allowance, Air Asia

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 87
Handbag Allowance, Air Asia

Hi folks

I am about to embark on a carry-on bag only flight from Oaska-KL-Phnom Penh.

I have a medium-sized backpack that is within the sizes they specify and has 6kgs of stuff in it, within the 7kg limit, plus a small daypack. (I do not use handbags) I notice that on their site they say a "laptop" or "handbag", nothing there about other forms of totes.

My question: Will my daypack (not the bakcpack with 6 kgs in it) be raising any eyebrows, and about how many kgs. are generally allowed in the additional smaller bag?

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 36
1. Re: Handbag Allowance, Air Asia

We just did 6 Air Asia flights,and on all of these no hand luggage was questioned for any passengers,that we saw.Plenty oversized,people with 3 and 4 pieces etc.That of course is no guarantee you will not be pulled up.Perhaps pack a smaller "handbagish" tote bag in your bag,and if not ok,put more in backpack and rest in tote.(our handluggage was never weighed,this trip or over 20 other flights.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 36
2. Re: Handbag Allowance, Air Asia

We just did 6 Air Asia flights,and on all of these no hand luggage was questioned for any passengers,that we saw.Plenty oversized,people with 3 and 4 pieces etc.That of course is no guarantee you will not be pulled up.Perhaps pack a smaller "handbagish" tote bag in your bag,and if not ok,put more in backpack and rest in tote.(our handluggage was never weighed,this trip or over 20 other flights.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
3. Re: Handbag Allowance, Air Asia

Thank you for that. I was considering brigning a collapsible tote, I will certainly do that. Cheers :-)

reviews: 12
4. Re: Handbag Allowance, Air Asia

I've had two flights in Kl outta say maybe 20 where staff have weighed and measured carry on luggage.

It's a gamble, I personally wouldn't, but doesn't stop a lot of ppl.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
5. Re: Handbag Allowance, Air Asia

I will still keep my bag(which is within measurements & weight) as is, but it is my small daypack I am concerned about. There is no information on the max weight on that, on their website.

Reply to: Handbag Allowance, Air Asia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted