We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

Indiana
reviews: 2
Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

I'm flying from the U.S. to Germany then to Bulgaria. No produce- just boxed/packaged food such as cereal, bread, crackers, boxed beverages, etc.

10 replies to this topic
Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
1. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

Why? European food is just as good (and sometimes better) than American food. A lot of items sold in the US can be purchased in Europe as well. Save the baggage space for clothes and leave the food at home.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

Yes but why would you pack bread? Do you think you can't get bread in Europe?

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

My guess is fussy kids (or adults).

Any of that stuff is fine to take.

Indiana
reviews: 2
4. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

Mr Marcoos, thank you! I'm staying in an apartment for 4 days in Sofia....I dont want to be too adventerous....

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

Ok Hoosier but don't get me wrong, I agree with the others, but just answering the question as put.

Do at least try to sample some of the local stuff. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 60
6. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

I would skip the bread.

Loughborough...
7. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

The op was asking whether he could not if he should.

Why cant people just answer the question?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
8. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

@ Julian C - I guess most people who post on this forum are seasoned travellers who find it pretty incredulous that someone would have enough room in their bags to take bread to Germany. A country which has excellent bakers and bread.

I can certainly understand taking your favourite cereal and maybe some crackers but bread? Each to their own I suppose.

Hoosier I would say you are being pretty adventurous already by taking a trip to Sofia in the first place so good for you. I doubt sampling the local cuisine would be a step too far ;-)

9. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:36 am, August 04, 2014

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 143
10. Re: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?

You won't have problems with the airlines to bring food in a checked bag but you may have problems in customs of the country you're arrive to. Some customs officers confiscate food even when is packaged food.

i bring food with me all the time, not when I go on vacation, but when I return home to the island (because of cost here and lack of so many items I like). The only times I have had problem is when I bring stuff in my carry-on, not with the airlines but with security. They always want to open the bag, but that's about it, never take anything from it.

Reply to: Can I packed food in Checked Luggage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted