We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard sided camera case: Valet check

Iowa
Level Contributor
112 posts
27 reviews
Hard sided camera case: Valet check

We are headed to Yellowstone in September, flying into Bozeman via Delta Airlines. We have a rolling hard sided camera case that has our cameras and spotting scope. It's big enough that we might be asked to valet check it as opposed to putting it into the overhead compartment. We do not want to check it at the check in counter, knowing how they throw bags around. How careful are the baggage handlers with the luggage that is valet checked? Any other suggestions?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,074 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Hard sided camera case: Valet check

Hmm? I have not heard of "valet check in" before this post.

Perhaps you mean gate checking?

IF the bag is really too big it might not fit through the scanning machine at security.

How big is it?? I don't think that anyone can guarantee how the bag will be treated once you let someone take it from you.

DC
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
1 review
2. Re: Hard sided camera case: Valet check

I have no idea what "valet checked" is, but I'm guessing that you mean gate checked. Since you're probably flying on a regional jet, the bag is unlikely to fit into the overhead. It may fit under the seat (check out the dimensions for your plane). If it doesn't fit, you will have no choice but to gate check it.

Gate checked bags are usually dropped off at planeside and put into the hold. On arrival they're usually put onto a cart and brought to you t planeside. So, there's less handling.

If your hard sided case does what you bought it for, it should work.

London, United...
Level Contributor
580 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Hard sided camera case: Valet check

I don't think baggage handler pay more or less attention for gate checked pieces but as #2 stated there is less handling so the probability of damage would be smaller.

Also I am stating the obvious but the fact that a case has hard side does not mean that the contents would be protected from banging against each other inside the case. You should ensure when packing that nothing is able to rattle around.

4. Re: Hard sided camera case: Valet check

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 04, 2015