We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security delays Manchester Airport

Derbyshire
reviews: 14
Security delays Manchester Airport

How early should i get to the airport for a 9.30am flight? We have checked in online so theoretically it shouldn't take as long but do we need to give extra time for all the recently enhanced security checks?

7 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 90
1. Re: Security delays Manchester Airport

We have checked in online so theoretically it shouldn't take as long

=====

IME checking in online unless you are hand luggage only, doesn't make any appreciable difference to the time needed at the airport, sometimes bag drop takes just as long or longer than the traditional checkin.

Then you have security (where it obviously makes no difference) and the time to allow to get to the airport, taking account of possible traffic delays etc, where again it makes no difference.

So in summary OLCI is an irrelevance for what time, you should aim to get to the airport at whatever time your airport / airline advises which in general is 3 hours long haul, 2 anywhere else.

Edited: 5:59 am, August 02, 2014
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
reviews: 58
2. Re: Security delays Manchester Airport

"do we need to give extra time for all the recently enhanced security checks?"

I recently flew through Gatwick on the first weekend of the school holidays and made it through security in record time - there was nobody in front of me at my lane, and I had three portable electronic devices. In practice, all airport operators have said that the new DFT rules won't make any difference to people.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
3. Re: Security delays Manchester Airport

My rule is better to be 30 minutes early rather than 5 minutes late - in addition to the security checks you never know what traffic issues you might encounter getting to the airport.

Unless you are staying overnight near the airport a 9.30 departure puts you in the midst of rush hour traffic around the Manchester area.

Scotland
reviews: 79
4. Re: Security delays Manchester Airport

I always aim to arrive 3 hours before, even when staying overnight at an airport hotel.

This year we booked fast track security due to really long queues the previous time we flew (1 hour to get through), however this year virtually no queues at any of the lines. Same flight time and same day for both flights, but for peace of mind I would still either arrive early or pay for fast track, if you are early sit back relax, have some breakfast and do a bit of shopping :0)

Manchester
reviews: 125
5. Re: Security delays Manchester Airport

Severe disruptions due to roadworks around the airport, a friend of mine was stuck on the M56 for 2 hours this week ( though not going the airport ) Leave plenty of time

manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/content/t…

Derbyshire
reviews: 14
6. Re: Security delays Manchester Airport

Thanks everyone. Jessybobs, this says that the roads open again at 5.00 am tomorrow morning so I am hoping we will be OK. We fly at 9.30ish.

Preston, United...
reviews: 15
7. Re: Security delays Manchester Airport

It took us an hour to get through 3 weeks ago. We went from T2 at manchester to mexico

Reply to: Security delays Manchester Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted