We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

Powell, Wyoming...
Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

I am looking at a flight from Billings Montana to Dublin May 31st to June 13th on Delta. I am on the Delta site and it says only 8 seats remain on each leg of the flight. Is this a computer glitch or do I need to book now? Flights are 4445, 2354,411, 91, 419 and 7489.

8 replies to this topic
Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 150
1. Re: Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

A few things to remember here:

Firstly, there may only be 8 seats left at the cheap fare displayed. After those are sold the next level of seats (plus $100) may be released.

Second option, yes it is entirely possible that the flight is almost sold out. School groups/tour groups etc etc could be travelling on that flight.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 86
2. Re: Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

Where are you seeing this? There are plenty of seats left on these flight. Don't really understand your post.

Powell, Wyoming...
3. Re: Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

I printed out flight details and it shows it there on each leg. Try it again in a few days?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

I very much suspect what you're seeing is what travellinallover is describing - that there are only 8 seats left at that cheap fare. And yes it can say that for all legs depending on how the fare is created. Once that fare bucket sells out the price will go up. And, if there are say 4 of you traveling there will need to be at least 4 seats available at that fare to get it.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
5. Re: Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

Try changing your search to full fare seats. That may well show lots of seats left.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
6. Re: Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

Remember that airlines have been known to say only X seats left at Y price in order to "encourage" potential passengers to purchase - it may well be true that at that point in time there could only be X seats at Y price but it's also common practice for revenue management teams within airlines to adjust the number of tickets within any given fare bucket at any time.

UK
reviews: 87
7. Re: Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

Airlines don't show how many seats in each class are left above a maximum number (usually 9 but seems to be 8 in this case) because otherwise it would provide useful information to their competitors and also people looking to guess if prices will drop "hmm,243 seats left eh, I reckon they will be dropping prices!"

So you are almost certainly just seeing the "only 8 seats at this price message" because it's beyond the bounds of possibility that their are only 8 seats left in total on every single one of these flights.

Another possibility that occurs to me, this is a multi leg flight, it is possible one of them is on a very small plane that indeed has only 8 seats left and this limit is being applied to all legs. Try a slightly different start time to pick up another flight out of billings.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 161
8. Re: Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?

it seems the return leg is the problem. I tried booking for 9 pax and the flight 91/419/7489 is not even available for selection. Instead only 91/2205/1503 which costs higher than with 8 pax on 91/419/7489.

guess it can be for whatever reasons that only the airline knows.

Reply to: Should I believe a May 2015 flight is almost sold out?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted