We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

Dublin, Ireland
13 posts
RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

Hi, I'm planning on going to Germany next Monday and I was wondering about the 2nd hand luggage bag. I have a Small Lonsdale Pocket backpack, which the deminsions are 35 by 29 by 10.

I realise that this is not within' their 2nd hand luagge allowence, but even though it is over by a little amount, will they be overly strict about it? E.g. Take the bag off me. I know RyanAir have calmed down on this type of thing, and I'm not trying to take advantage of the 2nd bag, I just think this bag will come in handy with my other hand luggage bag.

Thanks

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

"I realise that this is not within' their 2nd hand luagge allowence, but even though it is over by a little amount, will they be overly strict about it?"

Ryanair are normally strict in enforcing their published limits - they make a lot of money from those who fall foul of their rules.

Dublin, Ireland
13 posts
2. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

But with this backpack, i could probably squeeze it all into the small box they provide..

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

RyanAir is strict, depending on check in personel you might get away with it, maybe you don't, I play be their rules and never had any problem, other that thought they get away with even a little bit over didn't and then whine about RA.

Can't you put in in your carry on just before boarding and then take it out again?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

"I realise that this is not within' their 2nd hand luagge allowence, but even though it is over by a little amount"

The second bag dimensions allowed are "1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms may be carried per passenger" so if your planned second bag is 35 x 29 x 10 cms it is well in excess of what's allowed but only you know whether it can be squeezed down to the limit.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

The gates and bag drop areas now have sizing cages that are double sided. One side is for the larger bag, the other for the second small bag.

Dublin, Ireland
13 posts
6. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

Still not sure, think it should be o.k, backpacks usually can be squeezed down into the boxes anyway.

uk
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

"

and I'm not trying to take advantage of the 2nd bag, I just think this bag will come in handy with my other hand luggage bag."

Sounds like you are indeed trying to take advantage.

Deb

Travelling The World
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

The answer is yes they can be strict and no don't try it..

Remember, if the bag is full, it won't be able to squash. And if you aren't planning to fill it, why not just take a bag of the correct dimensions?

35 x 20 x 20 cms is actually very small. 20cm is about the width of an A4 paper and 35cm is slightly longer than an A4 sheet of paper.

Edited: 2:12 pm, August 01, 2014
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
395 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

I have travelled with Ryan air recently. Had no problems hand luggage was not checked. They seemed to be very lax I stayed with in the rules seen other bags that would never of fitted in the box. It is a risk you take.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,637 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: RyanAir 2nd bag for Hand luggage.. Strict?

The RyanAir second bag is intended for pax who do shopping air side so they don't have to stuff that into their main carry on. That's why it's size is for a couple of bottles of duty free** or the like.

As part of the update to EU261 the EU is proposing that all airlines be required to allow a personal item that will hold a reasonable amount of duty free and/or airport shopping. My guess is that RyanAir has preempted this, as it is (was) the LCCs that are the targets of that clause.

[** not that most of FR's flights are eligible for true duty free but you get the picture, as that's what EU261/2014 is aimed at]

Edited: 3:07 am, August 02, 2014