We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways flights

uk
British Airways flights

We are flying out BA economy on the A380 to Hong Kong in October and it was supposed to be the A380 back from Singapore,( again in economy) We have already paid to select seats (£134) as we wanted the pairs of seats as there are only the two of us travelling. Now the plane returning from Singapore has been changed to a 744 so our paid seats were reallocated to 2 in a set of 3. We were not emailed about the change of aircraft or seats it was only when I went on MMB I seen a message re flight change and seat change. I have reselected the seats at the back of the changed plane (two seats together) and these seat changes have been confirmed by email. My question is should I not have been advised by email regarding the change of plane and seats in the beginning??? What would have happened if I had never gone on MMB until checking in online??? Do you think it would do any good ringing BA?? Also does anyone know if the 744 will ne one of the older planes???

Thanks

Maureen

14 replies to this topic
Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 89
1. Re: British Airways flights

Call BA and see what they will do.

Sheffield England
reviews: 22
2. Re: British Airways flights

Try seat Guru to check the plane - just put in your flight number. Re contacting BA - just ask yourself what you want to get out of contacting them. That's the way to get an apology of you want one for instance - or understand their policy (or industry standard) on informing customers of seat changes. I'm surprised you had to pay to select seats - BA usually allows seat choice from the get go at no extra cost. Perhaps you paid for extra leg room? If so, and the changed seats still gave you extra leg room, that may be why they didn't inform you of the change.

Hope you have a good flight.

London, United...
reviews: 89
3. Re: British Airways flights

It's part of the T&Cs that the airline can change the aircraft, and I imagine it's not their highest priority to email everybody on such flights, as it would only lead to confusion for some. You paid to be able to select seats in advance, and you've been able to do that - I'm not sure what you'd achieve by ringing BA.

London
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 73
4. Re: British Airways flights

Remember that paying for seats is still effectively just a request not a guarantee.

Whilst it would be nice if BA emailed everyone, MMB is a perfectly good alternative. You can in any case change your seats at OLCI so I wouldn't worry. I doubt ringing them will have much effect unless you want a refund of the seat reservation charge:

britishairways.com/en-gb/information/seating…

UK
reviews: 87
5. Re: British Airways flights

I'm surprised you had to pay to select seats - BA usually allows seat choice from the get go at no extra cost

======

Thats entirely incorrect smh1954. They have been charging for perhaps 5+ years now.

Its only free at OLCI at T-24 hours or if you are at a certain quite high elite level.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
6. Re: British Airways flights

". I'm surprised you had to pay to select seats - BA usually allows seat choice from the get go at no extra cost. "

This is not true. BA have charged for seat selection for a few years now. Only the most expensive fully flexible tickets or Gold card holders can choose from the "get go". Other frequent fliers can choose from 7 days to flight and for everyone else it's free seat selection when check-in opens 24 hours before flight.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
7. Re: British Airways flights

Posted at same time joeintheuk ;-)

London
8. Re: British Airways flights

Only the most expensive fully flexible tickets or Gold card holders can choose from the "get go"

and silver

London
9. Re: British Airways flights

Also does anyone know if the 744 will ne one of the older planes???

Depends what you mean by old. The newest 744 in the fleet arrived in 1998.

Have BA ever flown a 380 from SIN to LHR? I thought it was a 744 on the standalone SIN route and a 77W as part of the SYD service.

I guess if they were planning on switching the 744 to a 380 in October, there may be some sort of delivery delay?

Sheffield England
reviews: 22
10. Re: British Airways flights

OK - We're silver card holders but didn't realise that was relevant at all. Thanks for the heads up on that joeintheuk.

Reply to: British Airways flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted