We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston International Airport Layover Time

Leigh-on-Sea...
reviews: 3
Houston International Airport Layover Time

Hi,

UK couple flying from New Orleans - Moisant Intl to Las Vegas McCarran International Airport with a change of flight at Houston Intl on Wednesday afternoon 27th August 2014, both flights with United Airlines, we arrive at Houston at 16.29 and then depart Houston terminal C at 17.35, will 1hr 06mins layover be enough time to change terminals/flights with checked baggage ?

Many Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

It's a bit on the tight side for a domestic connection for my liking as you have little room for any delay to your flight to Houston. If the first flight is on time then you should make it but Houston is a large airport and your UA flights could arrive/depart from any one of 4 terminals which won't help if you need to change terminals.

Have a look at the airport map.

https:/…iah.aspx

Leigh-on-Sea...
2. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

tight is what i was thinking, when you book the flight i take it united airlines obviously know what they are doing and how long you need !!!! not sure if united will charge extra if i try and change the connecting flight as this was all booked via travel agent, thanks for your reply and airport map.

3. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:05 pm, July 31, 2014
Edited: 12:05 pm, July 31, 2014

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
4. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

You should be ok if your first flight arrives on time. If it's been longer than 24 hours since you booked these tickets, UA will charge you a change fee and any fare difference. I'd probably leave it as it is.

Edited: 12:06 pm, July 31, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
5. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

Since you are flying domestic - domestic you won't have to clear immigration, pick up your bags, go through security or anything. All you will have to do is simply walk to the gate of your next flight. If both flights are on time, you shouldn't have any problem making this connection. However, your flight from New Orleans is delayed then it may be tight.

I recently had a 1hr 15minute connection in Houston coming in on a flight from Mexico (so we had to clear customs and everything in Houston). We made our connection with no problems.

Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
6. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

If your incoming flight lands on time you should make it. I think Houston is an easy airport to get around, and the train is fast if you need to change terminals.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
7. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

It would be wise to download the United app to your smart phone and monitor flight status. In viewing the MSY-IAH flights, there are a combination of regional jet and larger jets. Most regional jets land in Terminal B, which requires a tram (TerminaLink) to get over to Terminal C or E. An hour is doable, but you can help yourself by double-checking gates on day of departure.

Leigh-on-Sea...
8. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

Many thanks for all your comments and helpful tips, cheers guys ;)

Rosanky, Texas
reviews: 12
9. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

Very poor airport: Houston International. After going through customs in September, there was NO place to sit; we could not check our luggage the evening before the next leg of our flight, and if we left through the exit doors, we could not come back in. Our next leg was only a one hour flight, but during our original booking, we were told the connecting flights were all full. So we anticipated spending the night in the airport. The first United ticket agent wanted something like $100.00 per ticket to put us on a flight that evening to our destination, but thankfully someone with United got us onto a plane without exorbitant fees and we did not have to sleep on a cold floor and guard our luggage overnight. We are both seniors with limited ability to get up and down. We were about to leave the airport for a nearby hotel when the second agent helped us get onto a flight. I do not know why we were originally booked with an overnight at the airport in the first place.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Houston International Airport Layover Time

^^^^^

I'm sorry, but what has this to do with the airport? And where is the problem?

You booked flights requiring an overnight stay, then on arrival you tried to change the onward flight to same day. And although strictly speaking that's not permitted without a fee (first agent) you were successful with the second agent. And so you saved on a hotel booking.

I'd regard that as an outstandingly successful outcome.

And btw, the first UA agent was right. United allows same day changes (SDC) for much less than the normal change fee. That itself would have been a good deal. That another agent waived the SDC fee altogether is something for which you should be very grateful.

Reply to: Houston International Airport Layover Time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted