We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick

This is on the front page of the BBC News website (UK)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-28508587

As a FYI in case (oops) we get complaint posts against airlines for LGW flights.

It's a SwissPort issue.

7 replies to this topic
Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 102
1. Re: Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick

Delays yesterday of up to three hours due to 'human resources issues' at Swissport.

Hopefully, things will be sorted out today.

Loughborough...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick

This has been developing for months. In April I had to wait 90 minutes for my baggage at LGW - SwissPort again. They seem to have the contract for BA and easyJet, which accounts for over two-thirds of all flights at LGW, and they probably handle other airlines too.

Only question really is, are they unable to recruit sufficient staff because the wages are too low, or do they genuinely believe the numbers they have are sufficient?

Cardiff
reviews: 31
3. Re: Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick

@AndyW33 ....or are they suffering excessive "sickness absence" in the very warm Summer weather -always used to be a problem in the industries I worked in! LOL

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
4. Re: Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick

What a surprise - start of the UK school holidays and busy flights with the almost inevitable baggage issues.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick

From the BBC article -

"At the time, the airport said Swissport's licence required it to deliver bags from each flight "within 55 minutes".

55 minutes? To get bags off the plane and onto the carousel? That's ridiculous. And they can't even achieve that.

I've only had to wait that long for my bags once, at Newark terminal B. All other EWR bag claims have been fine, around 25-30 minutes. I've had long immigration waits (PEK, PVG, BKK, etc) but after that my bags have always been waiting for me after probably several laps on the carousel. At LHR my longest wait for bags has been about 30 minutes after deplaning.

Methinks LGW and the airlines that employ them need to get MrMarcoos' freshly caught haddock and give the SwissPort CEO a good slap.

Edited: 4:25 am, July 27, 2014
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
6. Re: Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick

"55 minutes? To get bags off the plane and onto the carousel? That's ridiculous. And they can't even achieve that."

I agree that is not an acceptable target - wonder how much they get paid for delivering what in my opinion is a poor service.

UK
reviews: 89
7. Re: Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick

Methinks LGW and the airlines that employ them need to get MrMarcoos' freshly caught haddock and give the SwissPort CEO a good slap.

-----

The people that need a slap are those in charge at Gatwick who thought that 55 minutes was good enough in the first place, and who haven't fired Swissport given their inability to meet even that, and employed a better company by now.

Reply to: Baggage issues and delays at Gatwick
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted