We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

munich
reviews: 77
Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

I booked a Ryanair flight several months ago and I've forgotten whether I paid for checked-in baggage during the reservation. I'm fairly sure that I did, but I want to know for sure.

I looked at the confirmation email, but it just states a total fare, with no itemized information.

I went to "manage my booking" and I can't find the information there either. There is the option to add more checked-in bags, but obviously I don't want to pay for another. Any ideas?

I haven't done the check-in yet. Will the number of paid-for checked-in bags appear on the boarding pass?

I read somewhere that you can only add checked-in bags to the reservation before checking-in, not afterwards. Is that true?

9 replies to this topic
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

If you want to add anything after you've check in, you'll have to ring Ryanair and pay them a fee to uncheck you first.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

Call them. They will tell you whether you have a bag booked or not.

munich
3. Re: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

Thanks for the two replies to my question.

I contacted Ryanair via their "live chat" service and they told me the status of my checked-in bags - I hadn't paid for any extra bags.

I have learned a few things:

1. If the confirmation email from Ryanair doesn't have any information about checked bags, then you did not pay for any during the initial reservation.

2. In Ryanair's "manage my booking" section, if the passengers are listed without additional information about checked-bags, they do not have paid checked-in bags yet.

3. In Ryanair's "manage my booking" section you can add bags to an existing reservation. You have to choose the bag weight (15kg or 20kg, which costs £30 or £40). After you have done that, you immediately receive a new confirmation email from Ryanair, in which the items: total fare, credit card fee and checked bags can now be seen. Also, if you now go back to "manage my bookings", listed beneath each passenger is the number of paid-for checked bags and the weight (15kg or 20kg).

4. I didn't know that Ryanair have a "live chat". It's a bit slow, but it works well - you get to chat (i.e. online, real time text exchanges) with a real person, not just a computer. The "live chat" is a bit difficult to find on Ryanair's site. I found it via FAQ / Contact Us / Contacting Ryanair Customer Service and Ryanair Phone Numbers / then opening the section "Ryanair Phone Numbers" and right at the end it says "alternatively you can chat with one of our team, click here".

I think I've answered my own question now :-)

Edinburgh, Scotland
4. Re: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

I think you've answered most questions. A very helpful post, thanks.

Travelling The World
reviews: 17
5. Re: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

Here's a link to Live Chat:

http://tinyurl.com/ryanairlivechat

It also pops up on certain pages when it's open.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 180
6. Re: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

<<I think I've answered my own question now :-)>>

And, because you did a good job, made record of the information, and stated it clearly here, you have answered the questions for many to come.

Job well-done, and thanks for the detailed post.

Fly safely,

Hunt

munich
7. Re: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

Here is a bit more information to fully answer my own question:

The number of paid-for bags DOES appear on the corresponding boarding card, including whether they are 15kg or 20kg.

One you have checked-in, it is no longer possible to add additional bags online. If you log-in to the Ryanair site after having checked-in, you only have the option of reprinting your boarding card(s).

Paulo

Ferrara, Italy
reviews: 4
8. Re: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

Paulo: your information is very helpful, but one small correction: my friends flew PMO-BLQ a few days ago. They had checked in online about 30 days before (having purchased seats) but later realized they wanted to add a checked bag. They contacted Ryanair via Live Chat (which was operating even on 15th August, a major holiday in Italy), were told to access Manage My Booking where they would be able to purchase the bag, and to then reprint their boarding pass. The new pass had the updated baggage info. Easy, fast and painless.

Maybe you had gone to Check In Online rather than Manage My Booking, and that's why you didn't see other options.

Edited: 11:46 am, August 24, 2014
munich
9. Re: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage

You can add checked-in bags after checking in.

Mequese: you were right, I must have done it wrong.

You go to "Manage Your Booking" then select "Add Services- Baggage/Transfers/Car Parking" from the list, then log on and you get a page where you can add insurance, bags, parking, etc.

Reply to: Ryanair: how do I see whether I bought checked-in baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted