We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

Geneva
reviews: 20
Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

Pretty fed up right now as I'm stuck in Geneva airport.

Iberia bumped me off a flight (Geneva - Madrid) with the reason that it's overbooked and I'm not a frequent flyer with Iberia. They really didn't give a monkey's that I have a child waiting at the other end. Quite shocking really. They gave me 308 CHF compensation which I'm sure someone else on the flight would have taken, but it wasn't proposed to the rest of the flyers.

They just kicked-off four of us, no discussion, and gave us all 308 CHF and 16 CHF for food. They put us on a later Lufthansa flight with a change in Frankfurt. The first leg is delayed, so we won't make the changeover.

A night in Frankfurt ??

I booked 5 months ago and arrived at the airport two hours early.

So.....is there any 'trick' to void this happening in future ???

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

I check in on line at the earliest time available.

Edited: 8:36 am, July 26, 2014
Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
2. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

Yup - definitely check in online. Two hours before flight is leaving it very late.

Put it down to experience and think and think about how to spend your denied boarding compensation ;-)

Travelling The World
reviews: 25
3. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

"They gave me 308 CHF compensation which I'm sure someone else on the flight would have taken, but it wasn't proposed to the rest of the flyers."

Are you sure? Under EU261/2004, before denying passengers boarding involuntarily, the airline is required to seek volunteers.

Only if insufficient volunteers are found may the airline may then proceed to involuntarily deny passengers the right to board their flight.

If they did not do this, and you can prove it, you can pursue it further as they would be in breach of the regulations.

No way of avoiding it if your number comes up. If they have tried to find volunteers and haven't found enough, they can bump anyone they want.

Geneva
4. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

I'm certain......they most definitely didn't try to find volunteers....

How do I pursue this ?? (still in Geneva airport and now have serious 'domestic problems' in Madrid).

Geneva
5. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

Yes, I take the point - I normally do, but didn't have access to a printer and had a hold bag to check in.

Thanks for the reply.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

I normally do, but didn't have access to a printer and had a hold bag to check in.

-----------------

You can check in online without a printer... You can check in online with a hold bag - you just go to bag drop at the airport when you arrive.

Travelling The World
7. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

"How do I pursue this ??"

I would start with a firm, factual polite letter to Iberia pointing out that they did not ask for volunteers as they should have done. See what their response is. If it's not satisfactory you can follow it up with a formal complaint to the EU authorities using this form: …europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
8. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

Hi,

re: 04

A carrier usually has a report - be that online on their internal network, and/or a paper report that the GA's would complete and submit to management to account for any cash, vouchers, etc, that were issued in a VDB/IDB scenario.

These reports usually ask (or check) that volunteers (VDBs) were first solicited - and how many, if any, came forward... and if necessary the number and names and PNRs of any IDBs.

One point of note, the rules (as I know them in the Euro zone) and as fact within the US, do not *explicitly* say how or via what method a carrier must complete that "asking for volunteers". It is common that it happens either at the boarding gate before or just as boarding begins, but could also take place at the main counter where baggage is accepted. Also there is no rule each person be asked individually.

So, it is possible the carrier did "solicit" but that action (whatever it was) took place unbeknownst, unseen or unheard by you.

Its going to be hard to prove or make a case that volunteers weren't solicited unless the carrier acknowledges this themselves.

Travel Safe,

Travelling The World
9. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

"So, it is possible the carrier did "solicit" but that action (whatever it was) took place unbeknownst, unseen or unheard by you."

I know the practice with United, if they expect a flight to be oversold, is to ask at OLCI or when checking in at the kiosk if you would be willing to give up your seat. So that is unseen by anyone except the person(s) checking in.

Bristol, England
10. Re: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?

The only time I was asked if I would be prepared to be 'bumped' off a flight, the attendant at the check in desk asked me I declined, but I doubt if anyone in the queue behind me, except possibly the person immediately behind, would have been able to hear him ask me. So I don't think you are in a position to know whether they asked for volunteers or not.

Reply to: Iberia shambles -how to avoid getting bumped off a flight ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted