We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flights - baggage control - how does it work?

London, United...
Connecting flights - baggage control - how does it work?

Hi - I'm after a bit of advice...

I bought return flights to Orlando on Expedia - outward is direct, but return is via Miami to Heathrow. What happens at Miami airport - do we have to check the hold bags in again or does the airline (American Airlines) do that for us? I'm worried we won't have enough time to get on the next flight as we only have an hour between landing and take off.

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Connecting flights - baggage control - how does it work?

If you are on one ticket Orlando-Heathrow, your luggage will be checked through to Heathrow and you do not need to handle it at Miami. You should also get two boarding passes at Orlando, so all you have to do in Miami is get yourselves from the arrival gate to the departure gate.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
2. Re: Connecting flights - baggage control - how does it work?

Just to add that when you check in at MCO make sure they tag your bags to LHR - they should do it automatically but I always check when I'm at the counter.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 180
3. Re: Connecting flights - baggage control - how does it work?

TomC,

<<check in at MCO make sure they tag your bags to LHR - they should do it automatically but I always check when I'm at the counter.>>

Well worth pointing out. One really gets that one opportunity to see that all is routed properly - though it should also appear on the reclaim stub, but by then, it could be too late to do anything about it, as the luggage will likely have disappeared into the center of the Earth.

On one flight of ours, LHR - SFO - PHX, I was not so careful. Not really a big deal, but then we allow plenty of time, especially when re-entering the USA. Got to SFO, did the Passport Control, grabbed our bags and headed through US Customs. However, when we went to re-check them (right outside of Customs) the agent pointed out that they were ONLY checked trough to SFO, and we were already there. Uh-Oh! Just had to drag bags to street-side, check through to PHX, and clear TSA Security, but my wife has never forgotten that I did not check the tags carefully! She ALWAYS asks "where is the final destination on those tags?" at the sky-caps station, or at the counter, just to test me. One mistake that I will likely never live down, but guess who DOES check the claim tickets and the tags on the bags themselves.

Good point,

Hunt

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Connecting flights - baggage control - how does it work?

In Miami, American has one very large terminal and you can either walk from gate to gate or take a train. One hour will be fine as long as the first flight is on time but you've really got almost no time for delays. An international flight will start boarding 45 minutes or so before departure so they'll be boarding that plane as you're walking off the first one. If you were transferring to a domestic flight where there are several flights a day to your destination, it's no big deal because if you miss it you'll probably be on the next one. But transferring to an international flight where there's at best one or two flights, you really should allow more time. I'm very cautious with connections and would have allowed at least 2 hours for something like this. If you can, try to get seats towards the front of the plane and when you de-plane, go straight to your next gate without stopping for anything.

London, United...
5. Re: Connecting flights - baggage control - how does it work?

Thank you all for your replies - there's some good advice there

Reply to: Connecting flights - baggage control - how does it work?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted