We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 13
May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Once again this past May BA 87 from LHR to YVR was cancelled due to a technical problem. Believe it or not the same thing happened to me on the same flight last June.

I submitted an EU Claim with BA upon arriving home and the claim was rejected because the malfunctioning part was not scheduled to be replaced so the cancellation was deemed to be due to unforeseeable circumstances or something like that.

Then much to my surprise last week I received an email from BA that they would be honouring the claim!

Any idea why they might change their mind?? Just curious if anyone heard anything is all.

14 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Any idea why they might change their mind?? Just curious if anyone heard anything is all.

=====

The Huzar case. Mr. Huzar sued another airline (Jet2) on a similar issue and won. It was appealed to the Court of Appeal and the original ruling upheld (Jet2 lost).

telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/10892360/Fligh…

I'd presume that judgement has precedence and so BA accepted the case law (even though it wasn't against them) and is now paying out.

I have to say good on BA for being up front about it and proactive in contacting you to offer payment. Lesser carriers would have hidden away hoping you didn't notice.

Edited: 1:57 am, July 26, 2014
Vancouver, BC
2. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Aaahhh that could very well be the reason.

Yes I was quite impressed that BA took the initiative to contact me back!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
3. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Interesting. I was booked on BA86 on 29 May but since BA87 never left London, my flight was delayed (ahem) until 30 May, which would have put paid to my plans in England. BA managed to find a seat for me on BA84 on the 29th for which I was grateful; I'm glad to see they were proactive in your case as well, katheer.

Vancouver, BC
4. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Is there a similar compensation in the US and Canada ?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Is there a similar compensation in the US and Canada ?

=====

For delays, no. Europe is the only place I know of.

The only compensation that's payable in the US and Canada is for involuntary denied boarding (IDB) when the flight is in an oversell situation. In the US that compensation is calculated as a percentage of the fare for that flight (200% or 400% based on distance and/or ultimate delay) and that usually works out higher than the EU rates.

Vancouver, BC
6. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Thanks for all the info USBusinessTraveller!

London, United...
7. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

katheer, perhaps as a service to all who use TA, you will advise as to your future travel plans.

In cannot be mere co-incidence that BA cancelled both your flights a year apart. It is clearly Fate.

8. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, July 31, 2014

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
9. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Claire thanks for joining today to post that... You obviously didn't read the original post very well did you?

Slow day for compo claims today?

uk
reviews: 21
10. Re: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation

Or she could just put in the claim herself and not pay out commission to a 3rd party.

I am trying to decide if you are indeed a shill or not.

Lets see joins today, and very first post is on air Travel recommending a claims company, now call me suspicious but....

Deb

Reply to: May 29 - BA 87 LHR to YVR cancellation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted