We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please. virgin

Newcastle upon...
Help please. virgin

Me and my partner have booked a holiday with virgin to las vegas and new york. Today I receive an email from virgin telling me that my virgin flight to las vegas from london gatwick has been cancelled and they gave me an option to go a day earlier for £120 for an extra night. My hotel in gatwick is none refundable and cant change the dates and its costing me £70 to change my newcastle to london gatwick flight to change the date. Ive paid £190 for something thats not my fault and lost £109 for the hotel. I have holiday insurance, is it likely they can sort it?

22 replies to this topic
Newcastle upon...
1. Re: Help please. virgin

Just an update. Contacted insurance and they say im not covered by any holiday insurance as its not their fault its virgins fault and they should compensate me. I rang virgin airline and they tell me to email them my receipts for hotel and flight and they will refund me. Today I get a phone call from virgin holidays telling me they wont compensate me! What do I do now?

ive lost £109 on hilton hotel at gatwick airport in london (non refundable) ive had to pay an extra £120 to virgin holiday as they changed flights from london to vegas to the day before so they £120 is for an extra night in vegas apparently and they are telling me that the £120 is my compensation as it is half price although its still not my fault and I didnt want to pay extra? I also had to pay an extra £70 to change flight times from newcastle to london gatwick due to this. Is there anything I can do or do I have to pay for their mistakes? Ive contacted everyone and nothing can be done

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Help please. virgin

Why did you accept the change then? Was there not another airline you could have flown with, or a later flight with virgin?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
3. Re: Help please. virgin

How much notice did they give you of the cancellation in relation to the departure date - EU Regs 261 cover compensation for cancellations but only within 14 days of travel (I think).

No airline will cover you for consequential losses such as hotels - it can be covered by some of the better and more expensive insurance policies tailored for the independent traveller but most policies will not cover this eventuality.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
4. Re: Help please. virgin

Consequential losses eg hotel are not the responsibility of the airline. When you choose to book a non refundable, non changeable hotel room it's at your own risk. The Hilton do lots of options where you can pay on arrival, and change/cancel upto 4pm on the day or arrival. Why didn't you book something like that? As regards your domestic flights, they again have nothing to do with Virgin. You either book them knowing the risk, or make sure you have the correct insurance cover for cases such as this.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Help please. virgin

Is there anything I can do or do I have to pay for their mistakes?

----------------

Always spend a few more pounds booking the refundable option with regards to your hotel. It is a nice little insurance policy for not much cash.

Their mistakes? You took a big gamble organising it the way you did...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Help please. virgin

How much notice did they give you of the cancellation in relation to the departure date - EU Regs 261 cover compensation for cancellations but only within 14 days of travel (I think).

=====

Outside of 14 days the airline must provide a choice between (a) a full refund and (b) rebooking/rerouting on alternative flights, even with another airline. They must give you both options.

I would have (and I would still do so) get back to VS and "strongly request" that you be rebooked on the same day. It may require a flight from Heathrow, and if so VS must also pay for your transport from LGW-LHR, which is your starting point. It would be a round about trip (Newcastle-Gatwick, coach to Heathrow-LAS) but you wouldn't be out of pocket.

PS - BA flies LGW-LAS, so I'd try to get Virgin to rebook you on that, citing EU261 (articles 5, 8 and 9) - eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html…

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
7. Re: Help please. virgin

I think the OP has already accepted the changes? Some good advice here if you can still make a change. I would take the refund and book flights for the days which suit you.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
8. Re: Help please. virgin

P.s. Please say i'm not the only person who thinks this is a very funny thread title? ;-)

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
9. Re: Help please. virgin

Oh yeah Helshaw, it's good. I resisted temptation to suggest some appropriate solutions to the OP.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 22
10. Re: Help please. virgin

I agree that perhaps you shouldn't accept this and rebook elsewhere. Rather than trying to go down the compensation route. Is it too late to do this?

Ps thank god I wasn't the only one sniggering like a school girl 😉

Reply to: Help please. virgin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted