We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Korean Air baggage question

Los Angeles...
Korean Air baggage question

Hello,

Im flying Korean air from LAX-ICN-HKG. My final destination is Hong Kong, and my layover flight in Korea is around 8 hours ..I know the airline will keep my baggage until I get to Hong Kong so I dont have to get my bags in Korea..

but my questions is for my return flight. My return flight is also on Korean air from HKG-ICN-LAX..

I have a 5 days layover in Korea before returning to LAX .. so I want to know since HKG to ICN you can only bring 1 suitcase per person , does it mean I have to pay for my second suitcase ? I mean my final destination is LAX .. Can i still bring 2 suitcase from my HKG to ICN leg or do i have to pay the extra baggage for that leg?? To US you can bring 2 suitcase but Im staying in Korea for 5 days before im heading back to US .. I got the ticket all at the same time as one ticket

3 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Korean Air baggage question

As your itinerary originates in the US, your checked bag allowance will be subject to US DOT regulations, which state that the allowance must be identical for all flights on the same ticket, and is the allowance for the first flight as determined by the first *marketing* carrier.

So, if the flight number for the first flight carries the KE code, you will get Korean's allowance for LAX-ICN-HKG for all flights on that ticket, including HKG-ICN. So if KE allows 2 free bags on LAX-ICN-HKG you'll get 2 free bags on HKG-ICN. If you don't, file a complaint with the DOT.

Edited: 10:23 pm, July 24, 2014
Los Angeles...
2. Re: Korean Air baggage question

Thank You so much : )

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Korean Air baggage question

xnrlx,

You're welcome. The DOT regulation is called CFR 399.87, and s summary is given and discussed here -

flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1276051-chang…

Note that it is different from the IATA 302 "Most Significant Carrier" guideline (which for your schedule is overridden by CFR 399.87) which allows different allowances and fees each time you do a new check in. It's possible that a KE check in agent may get confused (and the rules can be confusing), so googling and finding the information may be useful.

It's important to note that while IATA 302 is an industry guideline, CFR 399.87 is law and so must be adhered to by the airline(s) concerned. Hence the advice to file a complaint if you don't get the correct allowance.

Edited: 11:09 pm, July 24, 2014
Reply to: Korean Air baggage question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted