We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

I am traveling from CVG to BOM. On Lufthansa site it mentions 2 free bags of 23 kgs each for travel from USA - India. But, there is also note which says,

"Special baggage rules for travel to/from or across the USA

Under a consumer protection law issued by the US Department of

Transportation, the following baggage rules apply to flights to/from or

across the USA:

html_list

Consistent baggage rules must be observed for all parts of a journey to/from or across the USA (e.g. free baggage allowance, dimensions/weight of each bag, hand luggage).

The baggage rules set by the airline which is listed first on the ticket are those that usually apply here. If Lufthansa is listed on the first flight segment of your ticket, then Lufthansa’s baggage regulations will apply to your entire journey (outbound and return flight). Rules on hand luggage may vary (local laws).

Exception: any airline which is listed as the first carrier on the ticket is at liberty to transfer the baggage rule stipulation to another airline in the itinerary (the ‘Most Significant Carrier’).

Lufthansa therefore cannot guarantee that, for a Lufthansa-issued ticket, the Lufthansa baggage rules will always apply. (Airlines often have differing baggage rules).

Details of the free baggage allowance applying to your individual

flight will be shown on your ticket and in the e-mail confirmation which

you receive from Lufthansa."

I have a codeshare flight, the first leg is operated by United Airlines ( which offers only 1 bag).

I called Lufthansa twice and got two different response.

Has anyone recently travelled on this route and confirm or share their experience ?

Tks

Sp.

14 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 100
1. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

Class of service?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

What Lufthansa is describing is the US DOT regulations for baggage allowances and fees. It's called CR 399.87 and is outlined here - flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1276051-chang…

The important thing is that your free allowance and any fees is the same every time you check on for all flights on that ticket.

And the allowance and fees for all flights are the same as the first flight, as determined by the First Marketing Carrier.

Shekhtar, what is the flight number on your ticket for the FIRST flight on the ticket? It's the a airline code that matters (LH, UA, SN??).

3. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

I am traveling economy.

4. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

It is a codeshare flight - operated by UA and marketed by LH. On the Itinerary it shows LH. When checked with Lufthansa second time, I was told that the ticket will be issued on LH ticket stock. They also said something about "Most Significant Carrier (MSC)" rule, as if it was not confusing enough ! :)

5. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:43 am, July 25, 2014

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
6. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

If your flights will be operated by UA then the rules of *that* airline will apply

=====

NO, that's not correct.

The IATA "Most Significant Carrier" guideline does NOT apply for tickets whose flights originate or whose ultimate destination are the USA.

The rules that apply are 14 CFR 399.87 rules from the US DOT. And those rules are applied by LAW.

399.87 states that the allowances of the FIRST MARKETING CARRIER (not operating carrier) apply for ALL flights on that ticket.

So, your CHECKED baggage allowance (and any excess fees) will be those of LUFTHANSA. And if you're flying CVG-EWR-BOM it will be LH allowances for flights between the USA and India that apply.

Edited: 1:41 am, July 25, 2014
London, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

Usbt, I have to be honest here, you are even confusing me.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
8. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

Usbt, I have to be honest here, you are even confusing me.

====

Confusing or not, it's the US Department of Transportation Law that applies.

See the link I referred to in post 1.

For a ticket that originates in the US, with the LH code on the first flight, then Lufthansa's baggage rules apply.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

Thanks,,,,

Egypt
10. Re: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules

Are they very strict or they can accept like a 1 KG more in a luggage ?

Reply to: Lufthansa confusing baggage rules
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted