We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol in checked in luggage UK to Malaysia

Manchester, United...
Alcohol in checked in luggage UK to Malaysia

Hi I am flying from London to Kuala lumpur with Vietnam airways with an hour stop over in Ho chi minh city. I have heard it is difficult/expensive to get alcohol in Malaysia and we are on a budget. I have a couple of litres of spirits here in the UK (unopened and sealed) and wondered if I packaged well would they survive not being confiscated if packed in checked in bag underneath the plane?

Any advice welcomed

6 replies to this topic
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
1. Re: Alcohol in checked in luggage UK to Malaysia

No reason not to do it, as long as you stay within the Malaysian Duty Free alcohol allowance which is 1 liter of wine OR spirits per person.

Edited: 10:22 pm, July 24, 2014
NORWICH
reviews: 53
2. Re: Alcohol in checked in luggage UK to Malaysia

We fly to Penang all the time. KL has a fab duty free. Cheap alcohol. Always purchase my DF before we fly to Penang (never ever seen alcohol in their DF). . However you can get your DF in LHW or GTW . Wouldn't waste my time packing booze to be honest. We noticed in KL it is only the hawker stalls what don't sell alcohol - bars / restaurants etc no probs they sell everything.

norfolk
reviews: 30
3. Re: Alcohol in checked in luggage UK to Malaysia

no, you can't buy it in london. most asian countries use the 'one flight' rule. so you'll lose it at security in vietnam.

yes, pack it in your suitcase - no more than 1ltr each, wrapped in a towel and then taped into a plastic bag incase of accidents. do not then buy more in the duty-free shop in vietnam!

NORWICH
reviews: 53
4. Re: Alcohol in checked in luggage UK to Malaysia

Mmmmm we fly Air Malaysia most of the time (or KLM) and AM told us as long as you do not break the seal In the bag it will not be confiscated at security re transferring. We have never had pier alcohol confiscated. Bags have been checked but never taken away.

norfolk
reviews: 30
5. Re: Alcohol in checked in luggage UK to Malaysia

i have seen alcohol confiscated at KUL domestic terminal many times. the sealed bags from u.k. duty free are not recognised.

security is at the gate in KUL, with 'passenger mixing' possible in some areas.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 117
6. Re: Alcohol in checked in luggage UK to Malaysia

Pack it in your checked in luggage with good padding, used bottle protectors from other DF bottles and sometimes even padded envelopes then use a plasic bag, ziplock etc and seal to avoid spillages. Then pack the heavy items in your luggage around the bottle jeans, towels etc.

Done this many times to Malaysia and not had a broken bottle yet. But I would also buy DF say in Dubai, then onwards to KUL and a transfer to a domestic onward flight home and not had any confiscated (of course never going over the allowed limit ;))

I would not say KL is particularly cheap for duty free and selection can be limited. If your wanting your favorite tipple thats not just the norm or most common bring your own.

'We noticed in KL it is only the hawker stalls what don't sell alcohol - bars / restaurants etc no probs they sell everything.'

Sorry, but you will find many hawker stalls that sell alcohol, (buckets of ice cold beer are very good value) but also many restaurants will not sell alcohol dependent on the owners and the food they serve, ie Muslim establishments.

Reply to: Alcohol in checked in luggage UK to Malaysia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted