We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Frequent miles

Carolina, Puerto...
Airline Frequent miles

What is the best to get frequent miles, the one credit card that honors most of the airlines? I understand there is one but no too sure.

9 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Airline Frequent miles

It all depends on a whole host of factors -- credit credit limit, type of card, cost of card, the airlines you want to fly on, airlines that fly to where you stay. Some cards give you bonus miles if you book tickets using the airline that the card is affiliated to. You may want to shop around.

Carolina, Puerto...
2. Re: Airline Frequent miles

Does Capital One offer frequent miles for most airlines under one credit card?

Carolina, Puerto...
3. Re: Airline Frequent miles

Does Capital One credit card offer frequent miles for most airlines under one card?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Airline Frequent miles

No. Cap one lets you accumulate points you can use for free travel but it's different than miles. It's their own program and cannot be combined with any frequent flier miles from the airline.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 179
5. Re: Airline Frequent miles

As Wes mentions, the Capital One "points" are a bit of a different critter. Before I sprung for their program, I would do a bit of searching, as I see many more complaints about that program, than positive comments. Study all details of the program (fine print), and try to get a feel for just how useful those points might, or might not be.

Good luck,

Hunt

Boston...
reviews: 92
6. Re: Airline Frequent miles

The Capital One program lets you book travel through them via Travelocity. I have never actually used the points like that as I can do better booking on my own. I do like the Purchase Eraser for travel after the fact even though I know its not the best "use" of the points accumulated.

I found major flaws in most of the airline specific cards, including annual fees and other nits and nats.

What is best for one is not best for another. I think you need to research this issue for yourself.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
7. Re: Airline Frequent miles

Just to add a little more detail, I have a relative who uses the cap one card where you accumulate travel rewards. According to what he's told me, for every dollar you spend on everything, you get a certain amount of points. The points are worth a certain amount of dollars. Let's say you have enough points to be worth $500. Then when you're ready to travel, you go book a $500 ticket using your cap one card, I don't think it has to be through travelocity, then you call cap one and they erase the charge off your card using your points.

So it's different than miles. It let's you book travel for free, and you can book any ticket you want so avoids the issue most airline programs have of finding an available seat. And you can use the points for any airline as long as you book the ticket with your cap one card. But it but does not combine with any airline frequent flier miles you already have. So the miles you earn by flying don't help you out at all.

Boston...
reviews: 92
8. Re: Airline Frequent miles

There is a difference between Travel Eraser and booking free of charge. If you don't want a charge to hit your CC you have to book through Travelocity. If you are fine with the charge hitting your CC you can "erase" any travel related purchase after the fact.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
9. Re: Airline Frequent miles

Short answer; there isn't one. If there were, either it would go out of business or the others would compete to match it.

Lots of variables here - like how much are you willing to spend as an annual fee? Do you tend to pay your credit off every month (i.e. do you care about the interest rate)? Which airlines are you going to use the most? There is no one universal best world-wide.

Reply to: Airline Frequent miles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted