We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stolen luggage - any hope

Magog, Canada
reviews: 624
Stolen luggage - any hope

I suspect what the answer will be but, friends flew yesterday from Detroit to Montreal. They had to check-in everything as it was a small regional jet and they already have a reasonable amount of carry-ons with a young 4-month old baby.

When they landed, one piece of luggage was missing. It was delivered this morning at my home. The suitcase was damaged and the GPS, GoPro and extra batteries are missing.

Any hope in making a claim with Delta?

I know you should not put "valuables" in checked luggage but on this sort of flight you have no choice, especially with the baby stuff.

18 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

Baggage is not lost until 21 days have passed.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
2. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

How much stuff do they need for a four month old baby on a 1.5 hour flight?

Of course they had a choice. They could have placed these rather small items in their carry on.

DL specifically states they will not be held responsible for electronics in a checked bag.

Edited: 5:40 pm, July 24, 2014
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

They could have placed these rather small items in their carry on.

-----------------

Or a jeans / trouser / jacket pocket.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
4. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

Unfortunately, there's no way to prove the item went missing while Delta had possession of the bag or if the item was stolen during the baggage handling process at the airport. I think this one may need to be claimed on your insurance.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 624
5. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

"How much stuff do they need for a four month old baby on a 1.5 hour flight?" - you obviously do not travel with a baby. And with waiting time and delays, etc. it is always substantially more than 1.5 hours (especially in the US). And do you realize how little one can take on these tiny RJ? Thanks any ways.

@Hans_DEN - luggage was not lost for 21 days as it was delivered the day after. The content is the issue. I guess some guy at the TSA now has gifts for his girlfriend.

Edited: 6:05 pm, July 24, 2014
Worthing, United...
6. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

Are baggage handlers employed by TSA?

I do know what you need with you to transport a baby anywhere and how you have to be prepared for the unexpected, but a GPS really should have gone with you onboard the plane.

Good luck with your insurance, but as airlines specifically state not to put valuables in your luggage you insurance might think you were negligent. And if you can afford to replace it yourself it sometimes works out cheaper than putting in a claim, the way those fatherless companies load the premiums so whatever they gave you they will get back and some.

Happy days with the baby, by my reckoning you have about 12 months of perfection left, then they start answering back, after that it's downhill all the way ;-))

Jackie

Watford, United...
7. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

Jacket pocket Jean-Pierre...

Unfortunately travel insurance is the only way to go I think.

GPS phrases can be reprogrammed I believe. If they get a new one maybe your friends can reprogram the phrase, 'you have reached your destination', by adding, 'unlike my predecessor who you placed in checked baggage'.

UK
reviews: 90
8. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

I know you should not put "valuables" in checked luggage but on this sort of flight you have no choice ...you obviously do not travel with a baby

====

Rubbish, a GPS and a gopro,as said, could fit in a jacket pocket or with the baby stuff.

gopros indeed are sold on the basis of two things, toughness and **small size**

They should report it though. And can try claiming on their insurance.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
9. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

Totally missing the part where a baby needs a GPS and a GoPro?

<---travelled with a baby and one small carry-on. No stroller, no car seat.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Stolen luggage - any hope

I think your friends misread Delta's carry on rules. You can still take a carry on at the standard regulation size and weight, but on RJs you gate check it. That is you hand it over at the boarding gate or right beside the aircraft if using stairs from the tarmac, and the bags are placed in a special section of the hold and returned to you at your arriving gate immediately you deplane.

delta.com/content/…carry-on.html

There's next to no chance of a gate checked carry on being pilfered as the security screening is done in your presence, and there's no time for a ramp worker to open a bag and search it.

So your friends could have had a full carry on bag plus personal item each at all times apart from while on the plane (about 2 hours).

Edited: 9:45 pm, July 24, 2014
Reply to: Stolen luggage - any hope
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted